Question Is connecting two Notebooks with a USB link cable a good idea?

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Is connecting two Notebooks with a USB link cable a good idea?

So is the transfer as fast as from one USB 3.0 hard disk to another? And done the same way?

I failed to get a network, WLAN, set up with two Notebooks. Respectively it seems to be very uncomfortable using one. I did not make it to just copy folder structures to the destination I wanted them to be copied. And the speed appeared to be extremely low, may be 6 MB / s.

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Actually my thought was to use the same bridge cable for all Notebooks, that is not possible? Now it's a HP Laptop »17-cn0623ng« 4J8T1EA #ABD and a Notebook Acer Aspire E 15.

Many thanks for the links.

Never connect a Type-A USB port directly to another Type-A USB port without an electronic device in the middle. The universal USB cable often has Type-A connector on one end and a Type-B connector in another. This is because power comes out of the Type-A ports and Type-B ports receives it.
This sounds quite dangerous.

And you have to install software for this? Wiki says. compandsave does not.

To remedy this, USB Transfer Cables have an electronic circuit in the middle to act as a buffer and bridge them together.
I do not understand, if all these bridge cables have such a circuit it does not seem to be harmful to use the wrong cable as it sounds like above.

I had heard, if I remember correctly, one just had to plug in such a link cable, that is it.

That said, post some additional information about how you originally setup and configured the WLAN.
Sorry, I do not have any idea. I tried some instructions on the Internet and suddenly somehow it worked. But I do not had any idea how I made that. This Windows crap is just too complicated for me. I am not able at all to do it again without (or even with) those instructions.

Could be that there was some error of omission or commission.
Well, actually I would think EVERY error was possible even the mistakes I couldn't even imagine.

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Do I understand correctly that all is now working via "I tried some instructions on the Internet and suddenly somehow it worked. But I do not had any idea how I made that. "

I would say this is correct: "I tried some instructions on the Internet and suddenly somehow it worked. But I do not had any idea how I made that. "

And this, "that all is now working via" at least partially. I had a connection and something somehow worked, but not good. Now I have a new installation. So start all over again.

What instructions? Link(s?
Sorry, I do not know anymore. There are so many, probably the first best ones I could find.

If so, continuing this thread may be moot.
Why?

Many thanks for the link.

Ralston18

Titan
It may be moot because multiple things have been tried with varying, mostly no results or progress. May quite likely have made it all worse and unrecoverable.

You may need, for example, to undo everything that has been tried. Disconnect the connection (USB, LAN, wireless) and uninstall any apps or utilities that were installed. Go back the notebook's respective configuration settings. Clean slate - start over while keeping notes on what you do.

There is a learning curve involved with such things and it is not uncommon for any set of instructions (internet or otherwise) to make assumptions that the follower knows to do "X". Without and even with close attention what appear to be the "first best ones" actually are not. Details matter.

What is the immediate priority: getting files on one notebook over to the other notebook? I expect so and the other objective is to be able to rapidly transfer files - correct?

After reading back, I recommend a clean start.

Instead of USB use an ad hoc network. Wired or wireless.

For wired:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-connect-two-computers-with-an-ethernet-cable/

For wireless:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-an-ad-hoc-wireless-network-2377409

https://support.structure.io/article/139-how-to-create-an-ad-hoc-connection-with-windows

Whatever method you chose first read through the instructions and preview all windows, tabs, and configuration settings beforehand. Make note of original/default values and what changes (if any) may need to be made.

Plan it all out, step by step.

If something is not clear, then look for similar links that may answer your question(s) or fill in details for you.

Lastly: ensure that you do have backups of the files to be transferred. The backups should be stored elsewhere and off of the two notebooks being connected. Ensure that the backups are indeed recoverable and readable.

Regular backups are a must in any situation or environment.

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
OK. Thank you. Nothing has been lost or damaged, at least not that I know of.

What is the immediate priority: getting files on one notebook over to the other notebook? I expect so and the other objective is to be able to rapidly transfer files - correct?
Yes, it is exactly like that. And above all I would like to just transfer data like I can do from one external or internal hard disk / SSD to another. E.g. with a synchronization program.

OK, I understand. Many thanks for the links. I will try it with all this information again.

Thank you very much again!