[SOLVED] Is Cooler Master ML240L RGB enough for Ryzen 7 3700x?

Feb 22, 2020
Will this cooler be enough for r7 3700x running at stock clocks? I won't be overclocking. Initially I was going to use the stock cooler itself but I read somewhere that after heavy loads wraith prism starts to thermal throttle and under clocks itself that's why I thought of using ML240L would this be enough for prolonged gaming sessions at stock speeds?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
They are going to perform about the same - you won't see what a cooler is capable of unless you actually push it.
A 3700X won't give either of those coolers a hard time; fully loaded, it's going to be around 160w of heat, well within their capacity to handle.

Feb 22, 2020
They are going to perform about the same - you won't see what a cooler is capable of unless you actually push it.
A 3700X won't give either of those coolers a hard time; fully loaded, it's going to be around 160w of heat, well within their capacity to handle.

How much would I be able to overclock my r7 3700x with ML 240L?

The stock cooler can run safe temps. I ran my 3700x with the stock cooler and PBO on with no problem. However I do have good case airflow. It was noisy and I did upgrade it because of noise. I get a slightly better boost with a new cooler but that doesn’t mean the cpu was thermal throttling before, just adjusting the boost within thermal limits.

I’m not saying don’t get a better cooler but there is also no harm in trying the stock cooler.

Feb 22, 2020
The stock cooler can run safe temps. I ran my 3700x with the stock cooler and PBO on with no problem. However I do have good case airflow. It was noisy and I did upgrade it because of noise. I get a slightly better boost with a new cooler but that doesn’t mean the cpu was thermal throttling before, just adjusting the boost within thermal limits.

I’m not saying don’t get a better cooler but there is also no harm in trying the stock cooler.

How would ML240L perform with r7 3700x?
How much can I overclock it with this AIO?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How much would I be able to overclock my r7 3700x with ML 240L?
You don't. Leave the cpu alone.
-Slap a good cooler on it, because Ryzen 3000's boost clocks are temperature sensitive in a similar manner to Nvidia's 10, 16, and 20 series gpus.
-Look up guides for using Ryzen Dram calculator and tighten the memory timings.
The above 2 steps will go much further in improving performance than some measly cpu overclock.

What works for Intel cpus(core frequency OCs) doesn't yield any benefits with Ryzen 3000; you actually lose performance, gain increased power use and operating temps are higher.

How would ML240L perform with r7 3700x?
How much can I overclock it with this AIO?
It will be better thang stock cooler but it’s also not the best 240mm AIO. I have no first hand experience of this combination. Also case airflow can still impact temperature.

As for overclocking, I haven’t even bothered. Having read how limited the overclocking is and you can pretty much get the same results with PBO I have just done this. With the better cooler on mine and switching on PBO I get 4.3-4.4GHz across all cores under load.

Feb 22, 2020
It will be better thang stock cooler but it’s also not the best 240mm AIO. I have no first hand experience of this combination. Also case airflow can still impact temperature.

As for overclocking, I haven’t even bothered. Having read how limited the overclocking is and you can pretty much get the same results with PBO I have just done this. With the better cooler on mine and switching on PBO I get 4.3-4.4GHz across all cores under load.
So would sticking to stock cooler be better for me If I don't manually oc?

Its a solid option for sure. It'll serve you well. Quiet and keeps your cpu cool but a bit large.
Good option if you have the money to spare and room in your case.
Pretty solid design for an aircooler, not nearly as ugly as some other options out there.

Feb 22, 2020
Which is the best performing AIO for Ryzen 7 3700x ?
Don't suggest me those beefy Air coolers from Be Quiet or Noctua they won't fit into my case and I don't want to go with the stock cooler either because I'll be doing a lot of Streaming along with Gaming for long hours, thus I reckon Wraith Prism won't be able to handle it for thse longer durations.

I won't be overclocking it manually I just want the AIO to let me do whatever I want with my CPU for long hours without compromising on performance.

Kindly Suggest me some :)

Which is the best performing AIO for Ryzen 7 3700x ?
Don't suggest me those beefy Air coolers from Be Quiet or Noctua they won't fit into my case and I don't want to go with the stock cooler either because I'll be doing a lot of Streaming along with Gaming for long hours, thus I reckon Wraith Prism won't be able to handle it for thse longer durations.

I won't be overclocking it manually I just want the AIO to let me do whatever I want with my CPU for long hours without compromising on performance.

Kindly Suggest me some :)

The 3700X is only a 65 watt part - the stock cooler should 100% handle it for as long as you like at stock settings.

For comparison I do heavy rendering work on a R7 2700 where it's running for 12+ hours at a time when rendering an animation. I've not run into any slow down and the 2700 uses more power than the 3700X. My setup has just the stock cooler + 1 exhaust case fan.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can't 'overcool' a cpu, larger capacity coolers just have lower fan curves, so fans spin slower for longer, regardless of output wattage of the cpu.

The quietest cooler will be a 280mm aio, mostly its fans will run 600-700 rpm when gaming, if it's a decent aio. There won't be a need for more.

However, capacity and performance are 2 different things. Capacity is a measurement of the size of the radiator, Performance is a measurement of the fans. There's only a few actual OEM of radiators, so most of the more popular branded rads are either identical or equitable, the only difference in performance being exactly what fans are attached to the rad. Generally plain fans outperform argb/rgb fans.

My personal preference is the nzxt Kraken x52/61/62, they are solid performance, use Cam software, set for silent mode and forget it exists. Blow out the dust when idle temps go up.

The ML240R (not the ML240L) is also good, and the Corsair Hydro series warranty is icing on the cake.

Reactions: Makaveli
My Case is Ant E sports ICE-511 MT, would the airflow of this case handle stock cooler?

I just looked that case up online and it appears to have 4 included fans(?), in which case should have plenty of airflow.

Karadjgne is correct though an AIO would work - I just don't think it's required if working at stock with a 3700X as it's actually a really efficient cpu (thanks to being 7nm). The main advantage of the AIO is it would give you lots of cooling headroom for something more power hungry like a 3900X if you wanted to upgrade down the road.

The other thing to keep in mind is there is a downside to using an AIO - and that is VRM cooling (or more specifically lack thereof). With an AIO the only active cooling the VRM's get is from the airflow of the case, whereas with a cpu air cooler (especially one that blows down like the stock cooler) provide much better VRM temps. That is kind of a moot point though with a 3700X as it doesn't use much power anyway.

Noise wise, I can say that the stock fan on my 2700 does spin up quite a bit when rendering, although I can't say it bothers me I know that is a matter of personal preference, an AIO would undoubtedly be quieter (although you do get the added sound of the pump on an AIO).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the AIO. The asetek pumps used by some Corsair's and nzxt and fractal design are much quieter generally than the square Coolit pumps on the other Corsair's and other brands. Some of the custom 'in house' manufactured designs like used by deepcool etc are hit/miss as to volume. The pump on my nzxt Kraken was dead silent, even with the case cover off. Almost had to stick my head into the pc, with the pump running max speed (the Krakens are variable speed according to need) to hear the slight hum.

But as stated, noise is a personal thing, I generally keep the pc at a low enough volume to hear the wife yelling for me from downstairs, so a loud pc distracts from what little volume I can get. The larger fans on the 280mm spin slower for comparable airflow from a 240mm, so are quieter, the larger surface area of the 280mm affords better efficiency than a 240mm, so the fans spin slower still. Bonus. My daughter does everything by headphone, so could care less what volume the pc fans run.

At idle, the pc was so quiet, I had to train my wife to look for the power button led light first, because she couldn't hear it (unlike her pc at work) so assumed it was off.

Favorite aircooler for Ryzens is the beQuiet Dark Rock TF. It's not that tall as it's a down-draft style cooler, but has comparable efficiency and performance to a NH-D15S, while costing less, looking better and having airflow benefits the towers lack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli and cdrkf