[SOLVED] Is Cooler Master MWE 550 80+ white V2 good?

revenantbacus

Reputable
May 15, 2018
Hello,

Im planning to buy a new power supply for my RX 470 and Ryzen 5 2600. I notice that the other Cooler master MWE 80+ white is not DC to DC regulated unlike the new one which is MWE 80+ white "V2" that has DC to DC and protections. Also its Tier B in PSU Tier List. So is the MWE 80+ White V2 good and will handle my system just fine? Thanks.

Solution
As long as we're only going to talk about mediocre power supplies, I think of this ghastly group, I'd just go and get a Corsair VS 550, so long as it's the one with gray-and-black branding (no green letters, no orange letters). This newer model is better than the atrocious older ones from this line.

I'd still think that overpaying by $30 on safety equipment is a no-brainer if that's the option you have, but if you absolutely cannot do that, I rather have the new VS than some of these ancient Cooler Master designs.
No, it's not a good PSU. It's poor quality. Just avoid CM altogether, would be my advice.

revenantbacus

Reputable
May 15, 2018
No, it's not a good PSU. It's poor quality. Just avoid CM altogether, would be my advice.

Hmmm, what about Cougar VTX 500W ? It has all of the protections (OTP, UVP etc) and not gonna break the bank. I know you will recommend the CX550M but its overpriced as hell in philippines, its like 100$ here.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
As long as we're only going to talk about mediocre power supplies, I think of this ghastly group, I'd just go and get a Corsair VS 550, so long as it's the one with gray-and-black branding (no green letters, no orange letters). This newer model is better than the atrocious older ones from this line.

I'd still think that overpaying by $30 on safety equipment is a no-brainer if that's the option you have, but if you absolutely cannot do that, I rather have the new VS than some of these ancient Cooler Master designs.

Reactions: Darkbreeze
Solution