Is Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W a good quality PSU?

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Hello,

I would like a quick check to know your opinons of this PSU:

COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO ATX12V 2.3 700W

Is this PSU of good quality?

The rest of the components should be:

ASUS P7P55D-E LX
Intel Core i7 870
3 x hard drive
1 x SSD
Single not decided GPU

I do belive it is a bit overkill with 700W, but it is for a friends new PC and he wants 700W for the PSU to last for a long time even if adding more hardware into the case.

Solution
As I have said before, take a look at this: http://personales.ya.com/realhardtechx/index_archivos/Page364.htm

As you can see, Cooler Master (and the mayority of the other brands) have high quality PSU, quality PSU, decent PSUs and some bad products. It depends on the manufacturer and the money that you are going to pay (the internal components will be better so it will perform better). Therefore, you can't say that a brand is good or bad. It depends on the model that we are talking about. I mean, Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ, Cooler Master, Be quiet!,... aren't really manufacturers. They have OEMs that make the PSUs for them (FSP, Seasonic, Enermax, Enhance, CWT, ...).
The Silent Pro M 700W is an Enhance electronics unit, as the...

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
It's a quality PSU from Enhance electronics. However, If you are thinking about install two high performance graphic cards in SLI/CF I recommend you to buy a PSU with four PCIe conectors (two of them should be (6+2)-pin conectors). If not, this PSU is able to handle even a GTX480. If the price is good, go for it.

You can find some qualified reviews about this unit in the "PSU Review Database" (see my signature).

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Yes, it will be a PC that he will put some money into, so it should also have only quality part. You do not recommend Cooler Master at all for PSUs?

I bought a Cooler Master Silent Pro ATX12V 2.3 600W for myself earlier this summer and was told that here that it was a good quality PSU. It seems to be working fine too, but I could not really tell to be honest.

There should be no dual GPUs in this build, and most probably not a real high end graphic card either, just a good one, but not decided yet.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

As in that 700W is too much? I guess it is overkill, but the buyer wants the PSU to be as future proof as possible.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thanks for your reply and the link. It was a impressively serious review.

Some price comparisons:

The prices in local webstores (Sweden) is about this:

COOLER MASTER SILENT PRO ATX12V 2.3 700W $137
CORSAIR TX 750W ATX12V 2.2 $163
CORSAIR VX 450W ATX12V 2.2 $99

The Seasonic M12D suggested from hell_storm2004 above does not seems to be available here, the closest I found is this, however at a quite high price.

SEASONIC X-750 750W MODULAR $261

The PSU wished should be of good quality, modular, enough power for future upgrades in the PC and as silent as possible.

Should the CM Silent Pro 700 fit this?

Although the silent power series of CM is not that bad. Their PSU's are not reliable, especially because of the bad impression they left with their Extreme series of PSU's. I would still prefer the Corsair. Total peace of mind.

If your friend prefers future proof then the TX750W is certainly the one, to go with the fact that Seasonic is not available. But by future proofing if it means that if he goes for GPU later. Otherwise the VX550W or VX450W is enough to run a PC without a GPU handsomely.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

It will have a GPU right from the start as the motherboard (ASUS P7P55D-E LX) have no built-in graphic board. However it will not be any SLI/Crossfire and probably not a high end single GPU, just a real good card that will last for a few years. The PC is not intended for gaming, he just wants to have the possibility to do some gaming sometimes.

Confusing that there seems to be different views of the reliability of the Cooler Masters PSUs..

actually, If you can, get the XFX 750watt XFX black edition. If it is a lower price.

That CM Silent Pro 700watt is reliable, silent, and fantastic. Personally because I own one. It powers my entire system. A 955 running at 3.9ghz and a 5850 at 950/1205 which both draw a lot of power. But still keeps it afloat.

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

Thanks for a good writeup on the general power needs!

It is available here for $183, where the Cooler Master 700W is $137, so the XFX would be more expensive.

Thanks for your view also.

I do get a feeling that Cooler Master has some worse PSUs, but that the Silent Pros still is a serie of good quality. Do you agree with that?

Henry Chinaski

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
As I have said before, take a look at this: http://personales.ya.com/realhardtechx/index_archivos/Page364.htm

As you can see, Cooler Master (and the mayority of the other brands) have high quality PSU, quality PSU, decent PSUs and some bad products. It depends on the manufacturer and the money that you are going to pay (the internal components will be better so it will perform better). Therefore, you can't say that a brand is good or bad. It depends on the model that we are talking about. I mean, Antec, Corsair, Thermaltake, OCZ, Cooler Master, Be quiet!,... aren't really manufacturers. They have OEMs that make the PSUs for them (FSP, Seasonic, Enermax, Enhance, CWT, ...).
The Silent Pro M 700W is an Enhance electronics unit, as the Antec TruePower Quattro series or the Silverstone Strider Plus series.
In the database you can see a lot of qualified reviews (not opinions) trusting the high quality of some of the PSUs from Cooler Master, and warning about another ones.

Solution

ricno

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

For some reason the link in your signature was not clickable for me using Google Chrome so I could not reach it before.

Thanks for this, I think it sums up my original question and points me to go with the CM 700.

Petey1013

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I have the Cooler Master Silent Pro 700w. I was a little skeptical at first, it was a good price on sale, and I'd heard bad stories about CM PSUs before, but these ones are actually different then CMs other brands of PSUs, and all the reviews I read where they tested the rails and actually did proper testing, it got very good reviews. I wouldnt recommend any other CM PSU, but the Silent Pros seems to be pretty good.