Is core 2 quad processor is still good

Apr 22, 2018
Hey guys I've found out that core 2 quad processor are available at very low prices from local shops.
So i have an idea to make a budget pc using intel core 2 quad + gt 730+ 4gb ddr3 ram
In an old g41 motherboard
Will it will be able to play light titles.?
Is this components gonna work well?
Plz help me cause i have no idea about this

Solution
How much will all those parts cost you? I know some of those old motherboards are ridiculously expensive.

A new Ryzen 3 2200G with integrated graphics will be much better at gaming. The CPU portion of the APU is much faster than any Core 2 Quad and the integrated graphics is much faster.

Even the i3-7100 with integrated graphics would be faster CPU and Graphics wise. The i3-8100 would be a big improvement.
Light gaming at low settings should still suffice with a Core 2 Quad. That said, it should be extremely low prices, as the original Kentsfield 65nm came out way back in 2007. The newly released AMD Raven Ridge series Ryzen 3 2200G and basic B350 board would destroy it I'm sure in both CPU and integrated VEGA GPU power.

What titles are you talking about?
If you want to play fortnite then thats a no.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from jasaswi007 : "Looking for a really cheap gaming build"

Keep it in 1 thread please.

How much will all those parts cost you? I know some of those old motherboards are ridiculously expensive.

A new Ryzen 3 2200G with integrated graphics will be much better at gaming. The CPU portion of the APU is much faster than any Core 2 Quad and the integrated graphics is much faster.

Even the i3-7100 with integrated graphics would be faster CPU and Graphics wise. The i3-8100 would be a big improvement.

Solution
What are some examples of "light titles" are you referring to in games? New? Retro? I still have my 2009-era Core 2 Duo E8400 build with 4GB ram and a GTX 680 that was at one time my primary gaming rig overclocked to 4.4GHz. With my 1680x1050 monitor, it mowed through Crysis 1, F.E.A.R. 2, Left For Dead 2, Return To Castle Wolfenstein, Fallout 3, Bioshock 2, and the like. I would not even try to play modern games with that rig now on that old 1680x1050 monitor. The amount of details that would be required to get playable FPS would be like playing my N64 on a 480p tube TV.

Besides that, today's consoles are so much better at 1080p gaming and optimization it's not worth trying to game on a low end/old PC anymore. Your weakest link there in that build however is that GT 730. As mentioned above, today's CPUs have more powerful on board graphics than that video card. You could slap a GTX 750 Ti in there and get a huge boost in performance, but the CPU would still be the bottleneck.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
I know this thead is old (5 months) but, obviously, some of the answers are done from the ignorance or from the mere facts shown on web sites, the most accurate answer is what Mr. velocity4 and 10tacle has given to us.

Obviously, the system, bought new, could be be expensive in comparison with a brand new system if the parts are brand new (the Core 2 Quad overall, which is still prized 213€ on Amazon), but that does not mean that the system will not be able to run actual games.

On what I will agree is that the GPU will not be enough; but you can play Doom 2016 at constant 60 fps (High settings, only two parameter set to med, but I cannot remember what, 16:9 1920x1080), or Titanfall 2 at the same framerate (High settings, 16:9 1920x1080) only adding a medium-level GPU as the GTX 1050 2GB is.

I did play Doom 2016 at constant 50 fps with a GT740, obviously not in 16:9 and lowering the graphics, but it still looked great.

I am speaking form the experience. My system is an old Q9550 not overclocked (overclock scares me) with ONLY 4 GB of RAM DDR2 800Mhz, a 240 GB SSD (another 280 GB in 2 HDD) and a GTX 1050 2GB DDR5. ¿Total cost?, well, the only new things I bought are the GTX and the SSD, the rest of components costed about 70$, all second hand.

I am not saying that it will perform better than a new system, no, what I am saying is that it WILL an CAN run actual games, with some struggling with loading times because of the low-rated RAM, of course, but, believe me, those games are totally playable.

If you want to buy a sure winner, go for the new system, but remember that the Ryzen mentioned above cost more than 100$, then the MOBO and the COMPATIBLE RAM (remember this) will add other 200$, if no more;but if you want to give it a try, maybe for less than 200$ you will have a working system which can still give you many satisfactions in what a gaming experience (if you are not too much exigent) is.