Is Corsair 450w psu good for a gtx 1060 and i7 8700 cpu

darwin29.j

Prominent
Aug 10, 2018
Hi just wanted to know if a 450w psu CX 450 80 plus bronze will be ok to run with a gtx 1060 an i7 cpu 2 hard drives and a Samsung evo 970 m.2 ssd and I do plan on overclocking the gpu

Solution

Whoever that was that used that PSU was a moron and shouldn't be giving advice to anyone, even less have a YT channel giving it.

Almost none of those YT channels have a clue what they are doing, way too much bad info and misinformation out there. You can count the ones who really know what they doing on one hand and still have a lot of fingers left over.

A good 550W is what you...

Zahid Shabir

Reputable
Apr 5, 2015
1) It is spelt PSU
2) You CANNOT overclock the i7 8700 for an Intel brand CPU you need one with a K on the end such as the i7 8700K
3) If you plan on overclocking your parts then I would not suggest a 450w PSU go for at least 550 for the configuration you want or if you plan to upgrade or want a longer lasting PSU then get at least a 650w-750w PSU
4) ALSO unless you already have the CPU and GPU then I would suggest going for a better GPU and getting a slightly cheaper CPU for better FPS as from what I can see you are are going to be using your PC for gaming because AMD would have been a better option for your price range if you were going to be using your PC for CPU intensive tasks or for live streaming

darwin29.j

Prominent
Aug 10, 2018
Hi I plan on overclocking the gpu and I know that the cpu I have cannot be overclocked. My pc had a gtx 1050 ti and I have a gtx 1060 from a old pc that I bought and would like to know if the psu i have would be enough. Also was wondering because I watched one of tech sources full pc build videos and he was using a 430 watt psu from evga with a 1060.

Whoever that was that used that PSU was a moron and shouldn't be giving advice to anyone, even less have a YT channel giving it.

Almost none of those YT channels have a clue what they are doing, way too much bad info and misinformation out there. You can count the ones who really know what they doing on one hand and still have a lot of fingers left over.

A good 550W is what you really need.

Solution