GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU fan - Cooler master hyper 212 black edition
MOBO: Gigabyte B550 GAMING X v2
RAM : 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3600Mhz
Monitor: Benq xl
Keyboard: Razer black widow 2019
Mouse: Roccat

I currently have the Corsair CV 650W as PSU, bought it 3 months ago. Will that be enough or should I upgrade?

I don't have any plans on upgrading my GPU for a while as the prices are sickomode.

Solution
I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU this summer after all hahah
Maybe to rtx 3060 ti.

But my psu would handle that right? Or should i invest in a stronger psu:unsure:

Well, there's definitely a lot more robust PSUs out there. CV is "entry level". But I know for a fact that it works well because a certain SI was building with it and complaining about audible noise which I found out was the output choke, so that was upgraded to one with a sendust core in order to reduce noise.

I think worst case scenario you're going to have audible noise issues. Both from the main transformer because it's a double forward topology and also from the fan because it's only Bronze efficiency and therefore generates more heat than a more efficient...
I'm thinking of upgrading the GPU this summer after all hahah
Maybe to rtx 3060 ti.

But my psu would handle that right? Or should i invest in a stronger psu:unsure:

Well, there's definitely a lot more robust PSUs out there. CV is "entry level". But I know for a fact that it works well because a certain SI was building with it and complaining about audible noise which I found out was the output choke, so that was upgraded to one with a sendust core in order to reduce noise.

I think worst case scenario you're going to have audible noise issues. Both from the main transformer because it's a double forward topology and also from the fan because it's only Bronze efficiency and therefore generates more heat than a more efficient PSU.

Reactions: Böffe
Solution
Feb 15, 2022
I mean, yeah, it's a budget PSU. It would work, but i can't say i'm comfortable with recommending to use it with RTX3060 Ti.

I see, what PSU would u recommend?

I will prob, to be sure, upgrade my psu when the time comes for a new GPU. It seems like the prices are dropping this year so I guess its on the horizon for a mew GPU.

Feb 15, 2022

I think worst case scenario you're going to have audible noise issues. Both from the main transformer because it's a double forward topology and also from the fan because it's only Bronze efficiency and therefore generates more heat than a more efficient PSU.
I see, a screaming pc is always nice hahah. I guess a psu upgrade will be in place when the time comes.