is corsair cx 500w good for me?

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
the corsair cx 500w is $60 and I really can't spend any more than that.
will it be good for me?

my parts:
cpu: amd fx 6300
gpu: amd r7 265
mobo: asus m5a97 r2.0
ram: patriot viper xtreme 8Gb

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

is just because of preference? or why wouldnt you put a cx psu with a gaming pc?

CX PSU's generally have issues and also have cheap components. They aren't very good. The XFX TS 550W is probably the best choice for that price range.

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I bought the CX 430 for $20 after $20 rebate and the XFX TS 550 for $27 after $25 rebate.

The marginal price difference between the CX and the TS is the cost of the capacitors inside the power supplies.

Personally I could never spend $60 for the CX 500 or the TS 550 but the TS 550 is worth the hassle for the $10 rebate.

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I heard a lot of people say that it has issues, but I never read any proof of that. Im not arguing dont get the wrong idea lol, but I would just like to see proof of that if you have to the time to show me.

You have to understand what is in them, and what you can get for the price range. They use really cheap parts that are not reliable. You can look up what happends with unreliable PSU's. with the XFX just barely more expensive, it is a bad choice to purchase one.

You have to understand what is in them, and what you can get for the price range. They use really cheap parts that are not reliable. You can look up what happends with unreliable PSU's. with the XFX just barely more expensive, it is a bad choice to purchase one.

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

oh ok. so by the reliability of cx, do you mean there's a higher chance something will be damaged? is the xfx 550 safer?

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
say the cx500 gets damaged or fails. does it have something like a fail safe or something to prevent other parts from being damaged? everyone says a cheap psu can damage other parts of a computer. what about the cx 500? and also what about the xfx 550?

Just get the XFX. It has a much better reliability. It is a better quality PSU.

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
so say the xfx fails for some reason. i know a low quality psu will take out other components. but does the xfx have a fail safe or something to prevent other parts from being damaged? If so, can you please show me a source about that? or by more "reliable" and "better quality" do you mean it might just last longer? because then it doesnt matter, as I probably can buy 5 low quality ones to last as long as one xfx for a better price.

I'm sorry, but you need to research to better understand. I'll steer you in the right direction:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story&ndar_id=8

http://www.overclock.net/t/719397/on-ripple-and-its-effects-on-overclocking

http://www.overclock.net/t/722251/on-psu-voltages

http://www.overclock.net/t/1092960/phaedrus-psu-secret-inductors#post14592669

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

I glanced at those, and they look very informative, so thanks. however, I was wondering if quality psu's would damage other parts of the computer if it dies. will I find the answer to that in those sources?

The problem isn't so much safety as far as instant burn out. The problem is poor regulation and ripple supression on the 12v rail which causes undue stress on graphics cards especially. This is 100% due to poor capacitors in the filter circuits. There really is no excuse for such corner cutting, as there are quality units priced similarly. This week I haven't head any catastrophic failures involving a CX, but two weeks ago we had five on this forum within just a few days. Last week there were two cases which the 12v rail barely made 11v under light load.

Example: A PSU that filters ripple poorly will cause a CPU and motherboard to run hotter because voltage regulators need to compensate for the low end of the wave. It's even worse for a GPU. If the ripple is bad enough it could cause the CPU to miss cycles altogether and cause a watchdog timer BSOD.

2nd Example: A PSU will poor regulation and hold-up circuitry won't be able to deal with transients. When a sudden load occurs, it might drop the 12v rail below 12v, where a good PSU can hold up to a large load transient and consistently hold 12v on the rail. Running less than 12v to your graphics card is really bad. It will cause driver crashes, artifacts, the graphics card will run hotter, and shorten the life of the card.

I'm not sure how good your electrical theory knowledge is, but study up on what a capacitor and an inductor does, how filters work, AC to DC rectifier, how a transformer works, and what a time constant is. All that is basically how a PSU works, although now it's more digital.

guest555

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014

yo do you think the cs550m is good? i just bought it.

It's not good. But there are plenty worse choices out there.