Is Corsair H60 able to cool i7-6700K?

almostageek

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
I know this question is dope; plese don't tell me, I knew it
However, as the title says, does an H60 suitable for i7-6700K?
As soon as I've found the best answer, I'll reveal the real reason why I started this thread

Solution
To answer your question... Yes. a H60 will cool a 6700K.

But...
I think 14nm construction has rendered liquid cooling obsolete.
You will run out of tolerable vcore limits before you run out of thermal limits.

I was able to OC a 6600K to 4.8 with a simple downdraft noctua NH-l12 cooler, keeping stress tests under 70c.
You hardly need more.
To answer your question... Yes. a H60 will cool a 6700K.

But...
I think 14nm construction has rendered liquid cooling obsolete.
You will run out of tolerable vcore limits before you run out of thermal limits.

I was able to OC a 6600K to 4.8 with a simple downdraft noctua NH-l12 cooler, keeping stress tests under 70c.
You hardly need more.

Solution

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Dont most people go for AIO liquid coolers for the looks though? Air coolers can do just as well while being quieter most of the time anyway.

An H60 has similar cooling performance to a Hyper 212 Evo/ Hyper 212+ if I remember correctly. It isn't anything special in cooling performance and there are many coolers (both air and AIO liquid) that are significantly superior in cooling performance.

Yes, people to not go for AIO coolers for their performance. Liquid cooling doesn't really have an advantage in most situations unless you make an expensive custom loop.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Not sure what that has got to do with it? The fact is, people go for AIOs for the looks. If performance was the only factor then people would just buy air coolers or full liquid loops.

Many cases these days have windows, and many people like the looks of the AIO coolers (its fine to disagree with the aesthetic, but seeing a lot of peoples rigs this is a very common trend).

almostageek

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

Personally, I believe my need is far more than just sit back and enjoy. I also like to do some rather serious OC - around 4.8 GHz
By the way, thanks for the answer.
THIS IS THE REASON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQju3cIR1g0

Maxsupertweaker

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Closed Looped Liquid Coolers (CLLC) such as the Hydro H60 are all about "cooling" the CPU, nothing to do with aesthetics. The second reason a person would by the H60 or any other CLLC would be for Noise Reduction. I despise whining sounds coming from my Box/Rig. The only sounds I want to hear are the Fans kicking in on my GTX 970 when it's under heavy load at 70 Celsius.

The newest generation Hydro H60 works beautifully on one of my builds with an FX8350 overclocked to 4.6GHz. It works fine with the Intel 6700 but I do not overclock that build, no reason to. Intel is a powerhouse without having to OC. IMO.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

How are they all about the cooling, when you can get air coolers that will cool better and quieter for the same money?

AIOs can do a good job cooling, but the main benefits over big air coolers is the asthetics and the less bulk around the cpu socket makes getting to other parts easier, especially in smaller cases.

Gamer1985

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
When I decided to go with my H100I GTX Liquid cooler, I did it for 2 reasons. One was I compared some of the better big air coolers with the liquid cooling solution, theres really not much difference over the other unless you were to go custom loop watercooling. This is even comparing the Noctua NH-D15, it wins by maybe 1+celsius in areas. 2nd I hate seeing that big fan and heatsink covering up the beauty of my build. Just as you mentioned why would one go one route over the other, was that the price was about equal for the same cooling. I definitely like the look of my Corsair AIO and it keeps my 6700k cool as can be @23c idle and so far 39c gaming. Have yet to stresstest but I think its doing its job.

Maxsupertweaker

Distinguished
May 29, 2014

Most definitely. I use the Hydro H60 Latest Model and it works beautifully. Be sure to plug it into the CPU Fan header and NOT the pump header.

aida64-i7-6700k_zpsshwic9np.jpg

codestaxx

Reputable
Jan 18, 2016

Why's that mousegolf? I'm looking at getting that same mb.

almostageek

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015

By the way does that include BCLK overclocking or just multipier overclocking or both?