[SOLVED] Is Corsair RM1000x PSU compatible with RM750 cabling?

A friend of mine purchased a prebuilt computer with the following specs:

Ryzen 9 5950X / 32GB RAM / RTX 3080 / Corsair RM750
ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p / 240 Hz)

Problem: GPU is most likely triggering PSU protection, hence the system loses all power during gameplay.

I advised her to configure the machine with a 1,000 watt Corsair unit, but she forgot. My reason for the suggestion was to prevent the issue of the RTX 3080 triggering over voltage protection in the 750 watt unit, which appears to be exactly what's now going on. In the middle of the game play, the system will completely lose power; fans stop turning and RGB turns off.

My friend is minimally confident with swapping components in computers, so I want to make it as simple as possible for her, since we live in different states and I can't assist her in her home. The case is huge, and I think it would be a challenge for her to personally cut all the zip ties and remove the RM750's cabling in her lian li 011 dynamic xl case.

Proposed solution: Swapping in a Corsair RM1000x PSU and leaving the existing cabling. Are they compatible?

Addendum: I did indeed check the official compatibility guide before posting, but I still wasn't certain: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/psu-cable-compatibility

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Yes, they're compatible, the only difference is the absence of in-line caps with RM. That ofc assuming that we're talking about 2019' RM, not the old one with yellow letters on the label, but even then it's still compatible, you'll just have empty 4-pin part on the PSU side connector of motherboard cable and the latch off center.
What does 'loses all power' mean ? Is it hang-up, restart or shutdown ? If it's the latter, do you have to flick the PSU switch or unplug the cable to be able to start the PC again ? Because if not (or if it's restart or hang-up) - that's not a PSU issue.

What does 'loses all power' mean ? Is it hang-up, restart or shutdown ? If it's the latter, do you have to flick the PSU switch or unplug the cable to be able to start the PC again ? Because if not (or if it's restart or hang-up) - that's not a PSU issue.
I just asked my friend, and I've pasted her answer below:

"No. It just shuts all the way off. I leave it sit for a few minutes before just pressing the power button to turn it on"

Hello Jon, and thank you for your interest. I apologize for the delayed response, as I was out of town this weekend attending to family business and just arrived back twenty minutes ago.

Question: What motherboard?
Answer: Gigabyte B550 AORUS MASTER

Question: Is the latest BIOS update installed?
Answer: Yes, it is updated now to latest version F14d / Date: 2021/10/01; FYI: It was not updated at the time of your question.

Bios F14d description:
  1. Checksum : B7DF
  2. Update AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.4 A
  3. Change default status of AMD PSP fTPM to Enabled for addressing basic Windows 11 requirements (https://support.microsoft.com/windows/1fd5a332-360d-4f46-a1e7-ae6b0c90645c)
Question: Are cable extensions being used with the stock cables?
Answer: “It doesn't look like any extensions are being used... it's impossible for me to tell for sure though.... all the cables are tied together... the psu is laying vertically and there are cable management brackets that are hiding the cables... so I can't be for certain."

Last edited:
Update:

Question: Are cable extensions being used with the stock cables?
new Answer (from PC building company): No power supply extension cables were used inside the case.

I believe the next logical step is to upgrade the power supply from a Corsair RM750 to a RMx1000. Would you agree? And if so, can the existing RM750 cabling be used with a new RMx1000?