Question Is Corsair VS Series VS550 problematic?

Dec 6, 2019
I am using Corsair VS Series VS550 (the yellow one not the white) for about 3 years now and I never had a visual an apparent problem with it.

Craving to upgrade my CPU and RAM, with minimum budget, to AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) (from i56400 and selectvalue 8 gb) keeping my msi gtx 1060 3gb, it would be really convenient to keep my power supply as well.

My problem is that I've seen a good amount of reviews on the internet saying that this specific power supply that I am using caused them a lot of trouble, that it's a horrible choice and some are saying that it even burnt down.

Should I keep my power supply to waste less money since it served fine for all those years or is there a chance that it might not stand the upgrade and it might scorch my CPU.

Lutfij

Titan
The yellow/orange labelled Corsair VS is more of a dumpster fire inducing PSU. It should be avoided at all costs much like Thermaltake's low end PSU's.

I'd ask you to switch over to either a Corsair CX grey label PSU or a Seasonic unit that has at least 550W to deliver to the entire system.

Reactions: EdwardR6

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I am using Corsair VS Series VS550 (the yellow one not the white) for about 3 years now and I never had a visual an apparent problem with it.

Craving to upgrade my CPU and RAM, with minimum budget, to AMD Ryzen 5 3600 and G.Skill RipjawsV 16GB DDR4-3200MHz (F4-3200C16D-16GVKB) (from i56400 and selectvalue 8 gb) keeping my msi gtx 1060 3gb, it would be really convenient to keep my power supply as well.

My problem is that I've seen a good amount of reviews on the internet saying that this specific power supply that I am using caused them a lot of trouble, that it's a horrible choice and some are saying that it even burnt down.

Should I keep my power supply to waste less money since it served fine for all those years or is there a chance that it might not stand the upgrade and it might scorch my CPU.

The problem is, a customer comment isn't actually a PSU review because almost no consumers are equipped to evaluate how a PSU is working other than whether the PC is functioning or not. It's a bit like a cardiologist telling you your heart must be fine because you're not dead. A proper load test for a PSU -- the only situation in which a review of a platform is the least bit meaningful -- requires equipment that costs in the thousands.

Unfortunately, this is a very cheaply made PSU. Ancient group-regulated design, garbagey Aishi capacitors (85 degrees, not 105, to boot), and so on. I might be comfortable with a 1050 Ti or something, but not a GPU that uses supplementary power. Certainly nothing I'd use, especially with new equipment that I presumably care about. There's a reason that Corsair drastically overhauled their low-end offerings in recent years, improving both the VS and CX lines considerably. These were junk and bad for their brand.

Reactions: EdwardR6