Question Is CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

woofieorsmthng

Prominent
Dec 9, 2018
Almost every game I play (CS:GO, borderlands 2, Dying light etc) my gpu usage drops from 99% (depending on a game) to 30% or lower. Meanwhile my CPU usage rises about 10% (from 50% to 60%). GPU temerature is 65max while playing and CPUs is around 50. I also ran memory diagnostic and nothing seems to be wrong with my RAM. According to smart my diskdrive status is OK. Ive had this PC for almost 2 years and this issue occurred about 2 weeks ago.
My specs:
16gb ddr4 ram (overclocked to 2666Hz)
Amd ryzen 5 1500x (overcoverclocked to 38GHz)
Gtx 1050 ti
2 tb HDD

Almost every game I play (CS:GO, borderlands 2, Dying light etc) my gpu usage drops from 99% (depending on a game) to 30% or lower. Meanwhile my CPU usage rises about 10% (from 50% to 60%). GPU temerature is 65max while playing and CPUs is around 50. I also ran memory diagnostic and nothing seems to be wrong with my RAM. According to smart my diskdrive status is OK. Ive had this PC for almost 2 years and this issue occurred about 2 weeks ago.
My specs:
16gb ddr4 ram (overclocked to 2666Hz)
Amd ryzen 5 1500x (overcoverclocked to 38GHz)
Gtx 1050 ti
2 tb HDD
If there's any bottleneck it would be GPU.

Get Msi Afterburner (use youtube to set up the overlay) once you have pulled that up and played a game come back and let us know if any of the cores are maxing out.

I have played Dying Light myself with a i7 6800K and GTX 1080 and its constant 90-99% GPU usage with fps around 90-110ish.

While Borderlands 2 is a whole different thing. Ive had the same issue across three separate systems such as when I overlook a certain area I will be getting say 80-90fps but my GPU will be sitting at 50% because the game only uses I think 1-2 threads and ain't so well optimised. I look past all that as I have such a banger of a time in 4 player coop with discord friends.

I would say Borderlands 2 is the one in the wrong while Dying Light wise shouldn't be bottlenecking that bad that you get 30fps that is usually a driver issue or heat throttling. Your CPU is like 20-30% weaker than my own.

Let us know what afterburner shows for Dying Light, ignore BL2.