Is CPU overclocking still worth it?

Tim_145

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017
Is it? I remember when you could get a Celeron 300A and overclock from 300 MHz to 450Mhz just by changing the FSB from 66 to 100 MHz.

Having just spent 3 days trying to get stable temperatures with an i7-6700K at 4.5 GHz - a very marginal gain - I'm beginning to wonder if it's all worth it anymore.

(sorry, realise I posted this in the wrong thread)

I agree, I do think overclocking these days is more for enthusiasts.

Overclocking used to be about squeezing mainstream performance out of budget parts. Then it was mainstream parts tweaked to offer high end performance. While both those still go on, as prices kept falling most people now focus on "enthusiast" class chips that already sit atop the performance (and price) charts trying to one up each other. Not so much making the most of limited funds.

Tim_145

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

I agree. I should probably have chosen a lower-end processor with more overclocking headroom. I bought a CPU which is already very powerful. It's just like, when you buy a 'K' CPU, the old overclocker in me wants to see how far you can push it. The answer, without also investing in powerful water-cooling etc, is not much!

Tim_145

Prominent
Mar 23, 2017

Yes, you're right