[SOLVED] Is cpu temp average 68c at 18% load normal?

Grimmbo

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021
I'm playing the Hunter: Call of the Wild at max graphics and my computer is running odly hot for supposedly only having ~22% cpu usage.
I fear that the heat may damage something. While typing this out it went (while tabbed out of the game) between 18% - 22% and didn't drop temp what so ever. When tabbed in to the game was at ~23% and at 72c
My Idle temp is around 47c - 55c at 3% - 5%

CPU:Intel I9-10900K
RAM: 32gb 2x16 3600mhz Vengance RGB PRO SL
Graphics card: EVGA RTX 3070
Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master liquid ml240l v2 dual chamber w/ copper plate
fans: So far I have spotted one case fan on the back by the 7.1 sound ports

Last edited:
Solution
Try to turn off the automatic CPU fan control, let it run at max speed to see if CPU temperature drops.

I doubt 1 case fan running at max speed is going to make a big difference, maybe 5-6c at most as far as the internal temp of the case and I think thats even about 3c too generous.

edit: I just realized you said the cpu fan, but its a liquid cooler. So Im not sure what you mean. The radiator fans?

I'm playing the Hunter: Call of the Wild at max graphics and my computer is running odly hot for supposedly only having ~22% cpu usage.
I fear that the heat may damage something. While typing this out it went (while tabbed out of the game) between 18% - 22% and didn't drop temp what so ever. When tabbed in to the game was at...
Try to turn off the automatic CPU fan control, let it run at max speed to see if CPU temperature drops.

I doubt 1 case fan running at max speed is going to make a big difference, maybe 5-6c at most as far as the internal temp of the case and I think thats even about 3c too generous.

edit: I just realized you said the cpu fan, but its a liquid cooler. So Im not sure what you mean. The radiator fans?

I fear that the heat may damage something. While typing this out it went (while tabbed out of the game) between 18% - 22% and didn't drop temp what so ever. When tabbed in to the game was at ~23% and at 72c
My Idle temp is around 47c - 55c at 3% - 5%

CPU:Intel I9-10900K
RAM: 32gb 2x16 3600mhz Vengance RGB PRO SL
Graphics card: EVGA RTX 3070
Liquid Cooler: Cooler Master liquid ml240l v2 dual chamber w/ copper plate
fans: So far I have spotted one case fan on the back by the 7.1 sound ports

In my opinion, something is wrong with either the connection between the plate of the liquid cooler and the cpu, or the liquid coolers pump is clogged, or malfunctioning. Temp is pretty high for 22%.

Please answer these questions:

• Did you build this pc yourself or prebuilt?
  • If built yourself was the plate for the cooler applied properly to the cpu with enough force?
  • How old is the pc?
  • How old is the liquid cooler?
  • Do you have a stock air cooler for your cpu to test if its the liquid cooler?

Solution

Grimmbo

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021

In my opinion, something is wrong with either the connection between the plate of the liquid cooler and the cpu, or the liquid coolers pump is clogged, or malfunctioning. Temp is pretty high for 22%.

Please answer these questions:

• Did you build this pc yourself or prebuilt?
  • If built yourself was the plate for the cooler applied properly to the cpu with enough force?
  • How old is the pc?
  • How old is the liquid cooler?
  • Do you have a stock air cooler for your cpu to test if its the liquid cooler?
1: I bought it from CyberpowerPC and picked ou the parts myself.
2: I have no idea if they put the plate on right.
3: we bought it in november of 2020 and it arrived february this year.
4: I would assume around the same age as the pc.
5: No I do not as they didn't put one in and only gave the liquid cooler.
Sorry for the late reply.

Reactions: Jason H.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Some games will make the CPU run hot even when it reports low usage. My 3700x cooled by the Kraken x63 doesn't exceed 55c in all the games I play, but for some reason, FC5 can make it reach 66c at 25% usage.

However, to make sure that you have no cooling issue, run a CPU stress test and check the temperature, if it doesn't exceed 85c then you will be fine in games,

1: I bought it from CyberpowerPC and picked ou the parts myself.
2: I have no idea if they put the plate on right.
3: we bought it in november of 2020 and it arrived february this year.
4: I would assume around the same age as the pc.
5: No I do not as they didn't put one in and only gave the liquid cooler.
Sorry for the late reply.

I would attempt to "re seat" the cooler plate to the cpu.

• Remove the plate
  • Clean the old thermal paste off the cpu and the plate with isopropyl alcohol (71% or higher will work fine, 91% or higher preferred for quicker drying)
  • Apply new thermal paste
  • Re seat the cooler plate
Also make sure to check over all components related to the cooler as things can get damaged during shipping.

If that does not work, I would assume the pump is not working properly or the fans are not spinning fast enough to cool the radiator properly.

If you dont have it, download HWMonitor from this link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Towards the top under "Fans" it will say "CPU fan". We need to know what speed the fans are running at (I would prefer a percentage if possible, if not that is fine as the software does not show %) while the temp is high while gaming to ensure the fans are running fast enough.

However, with all that said, Cyberpower is well known for sending out junk hardware. I wish you had another cooler to test.

Grimmbo

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021
I would attempt to "re seat" the cooler plate to the cpu.

• Remove the plate
  • Clean the old thermal paste off the cpu and the plate with isopropyl alcohol (71% or higher will work fine, 91% or higher preferred for quicker drying)
  • Apply new thermal paste
  • Re seat the cooler plate
Also make sure to check over all components related to the cooler as things can get damaged during shipping.

If that does not work, I would assume the pump is not working properly or the fans are not spinning fast enough to cool the radiator properly.

If you dont have it, download HWMonitor from this link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Towards the top under "Fans" it will say "CPU fan". We need to know what speed the fans are running at (I would prefer a percentage if possible, if not that is fine as the software does not show %) while the temp is high while gaming to ensure the fans are running fast enough.

However, with all that said, Cyberpower is well known for sending out junk hardware. I wish you had another cooler to test.
Hey sorry for the extremely late reply. I thought it had just fixed itself until just now when It was running at 83C when booting up minecraft. Unfortunately we don't have the tools necessary to re seat it ourselves and I don't think my parents are willing to pay even more money after having just bought a new psu. So thanks for the help, but I can't really do anything. Once again thank you.
Edit: I booted up my computer again after shutting it down for a while and now when Playing roblox (a very not cpu heavy game) I have average 10% load and 65c with 100% "cpu" fan. So the pump is working but it appears soimething else is off as previously before getting the psu replaced I would average 5% cpu load and 50c on roblox.

Last edited:
Hey sorry for the extremely late reply. I thought it had just fixed itself until just now when It was running at 83C when booting up minecraft. Unfortunately we don't have the tools necessary to re seat it ourselves and I don't think my parents are willing to pay even more money after having just bought a new psu. So thanks for the help, but I can't really do anything. Once again thank you.
Edit: I booted up my computer again after shutting it down for a while and now when Playing roblox (a very not cpu heavy game) I have average 10% load and 65c with 100% "cpu" fan. So the pump is working but it appears soimething else is off as previously before getting the psu replaced I would average 5% cpu load and 50c on roblox.

there are no tools needed besides maybe a simple screwdriver. Which your mom or dad should have in a household, with kids especially.

All you need is thermal paste, which costs like 5-8 bucks for a small tube that you could offer to do some extra chores for or something simple. And isopropyl alcohol which is in 90% of peoples homes already as a cut/scrape disinfectant.