Is 'cpu usage randomly jumping above 90% resulting in bad fps' a laptop factory flaw

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
Title says everything just... if it is a factory flaw, can i make a complaint about the laptop? It's a brand new laptop and i seriously don't think the cpu usage should randomly jump above 90% or to 100% forcing the gpu use less resources resulting in lesser than 10 or 20 fps. It happens always for a while and then jumps back but please DO NOT IGNORE THIS THREAD, this is something really important to me because i need to ask if i can make a complaint about the laptop. Thank you

Url to the laptop:
https://www.czc.cz/hp-pavilion-power-17-17-ab305nc-cerna/226359/produkt

It's in czech but you should understand at least the specs or you can use the chrome's website translator

Solution
That depends, because to be honest it is a budget computer so you can't expect very good performance.

Try putting a bag of ice wrapped in a plastic bag and try to run your games with the bag under your laptop. Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Also, did you run a virus scan using Malwarebytes or AVG free?
First, let's check if it's indeed a defective laptop/model.

What is the CPU usage on idle? Is it below 10%? Or do you also have spikes here? If yes, you may have been hit by malware and you should run an anti-virus scans (This is the problem 90% of CPU spike problems).

If the problem persists, than it may indeed be defective and you may file a complaint.

Although reassure me, you're not streaming or recording are you? Have you also tested running the game only and no other background apps?

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
First of all, yes if i'm on desktop it's usually below 10% without anything (i opened myself) opened.

Second of all, there should be no malware or anything since it's a brand new laptop but i'll scan it anyway

And third of all, no i'm not recording or streaming.

P.S. don't even try to recommend me resetting the pc cuz that would make it go from w10 to w8.1 and i don't want to reinstall anything cuz i don't even know how to

What now?

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from huhatik : "CPU usage randomly jumps to over 90% or 100% while playing games resulting in much lesser fps"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from huhatik : "power plan randomly switching from high performance to low performance"

Well it doesn't seem like you want to get your hands dirty with deeper testing. If there are no malwares than the only other test you can do is try to check with a different game.

If you're still having issues, than honestly you contact the seller and ask for a refund. Just explain to them to issue and tell them that you asked a friend that knows computers to look at it and your friend said that there is indeed something wrong with it so you would like to return it.

The worst that can happen is that the seller will take your PC, test it themselves, and then give it back to you and explain why and what you can do to prevent this. And if there is an issue, he will give you a new one.

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
(idk how to quote posts)
To rgd1101: i'm sorry for that but my only chance of getting any response from the cummunity is by making a new thread when i need to knoe something really quick

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
To julienruc:
Yea well if they don't take the complaint i can ask for a refund, because their business condition are that i have 14 days to test the product and i can get a refund within this 2 week period without telling them why am i not happy with the product

Like I said, you don't want to do any deeper testing or can't perform them. So it's hard for me to help you find the problem and fix the issue here. So just return the laptop. Doesn't hurt to tell them why, it might help the seller as well.

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
yea... but then... 1st of all: how can you ensure me this won't happen with the next laptop i buy too?
2nd of all: just so i know... what would i have to if i was brave enough to go much deeper into the laptop?

huhatik

Prominent
Sep 21, 2018
also yeah, i almost forgot... for example when i play H1Z1 it's the CPU usage problem BUT when i play Fortnite... it's the CPU usage problem too BUT that's a rare case because most of the times i play fortnite i get fps drops just because my GPU usage drops by itself... this is actually very odd and it's making me stressed, depressed and mad that it is a really good laptop with really good components for a really good price BUT it's really problematic even though it's brand new

That depends, because to be honest it is a budget computer so you can't expect very good performance.

Try putting a bag of ice wrapped in a plastic bag and try to run your games with the bag under your laptop. Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Also, did you run a virus scan using Malwarebytes or AVG free?

Solution