Is Craigslist a good place to buy PC's?

Solution

I've bought a few things from there.
Free fridge
$1200 truck
$50 pile of PC parts.

For a $700 system, you really need to be able to diagnose its functionality and legality, quickly.
Is the OS valid and legal? Can you do a full wipe and reinstall, and have it activate with what he gives you?
All the other software ? MS Office?
Does everything work?
Does the description match the actual hardware? Do you know how to...

USAFRet

Titan

You're not buying from craigslist, you're buying from "some dude", or some local shop or PC fixit guy that is advertising on craigslist.
Craigslist has nothing to do with the laptop, except for proving a space to advertise.

However, the "8570w" is probably 5 years old or more.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-EliteBook-8570w-Notebook.83982.0.html

amdgraphics

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
I guess I should've made myself more clear (and yes, you are correct). I just want to know what experience people have had buying PC's listed on Craigslist. I do realize that those ads are by people, but I wanted to know if it was smart to shop for computers on Craigslist. Thanks for the clarification though!

USAFRet

Titan

I've bought a few things from there.
Free fridge
$1200 truck
$50 pile of PC parts.

For a $700 system, you really need to be able to diagnose its functionality and legality, quickly.
Is the OS valid and legal? Can you do a full wipe and reinstall, and have it activate with what he gives you?
All the other software ? MS Office?
Does everything work?
Does the description match the actual hardware? Do you know how to tell?
How long does the battery last?

$700 for a 5 year old laptop is not necessarily a great buy.
What are identical systems selling for on ebay? I'm seeing 8570w i7's for $200-$300.

And if you buy this, or any other used system...your very first action needs to be a full wipe and reinstall of the OS and everything else.
For your protection as well as his.

Solution

amdgraphics

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

Yes I suppose that is true! Thanks for the reply!

amdgraphics

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

I know. That is the hardest part, because I would hate to be out a lot of money!

amdgraphics

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015

True. I would have to be cautious! Thanks for commenting!

TRENDING THREADS