Is Crossfire this bad ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
I have 2 6870 on Crossfire and i think its having problem with Crysis, its set on medium yet it only hits 30fps, is it crossfire seriously this bad ?

adalott

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
This might sound like a stupid response. But have you got a crossfire bridge connected to the GPU? It is an orange looking thing going from one card to the other. If that isn't in place or isn't seated properly it can cause funny things to happen.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Tried that, now i can run it maxed out with 4xAA, no Vsync, but afterburner now shows 90 usage of GPU1 and 0 of GPU2, what is the problem then ?

If you see a marked improvement in performance with crossfire, I'd ignore that. That percentage of use can be screwy and not always accurate.

Yes.
Unigene is not cpu intensive.
However with scaling it can show as i said about 6950 CFX only just coming in front of 1 480 with a phenom II at 3.8ghz.
That thread still exists (member system gallery).

I don't know about the tropics, but the heaven benchmark (which he used), does not get bottlenecked by CPU's at all from everything I've seen. I can run it at 2.67ghz and turbo off and get the exact same score as with 4.0ghz. Others have been testing even lower. Heaven does not bottleneck easily.

But tropics has about double the FPS as heaven, so it's easier to bottleneck.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Not really, in fact i lost 5 frames, and got some lags in moments where it had much stuff blowing up, while the single did not.

I doubt it's bottlenecking. OP, I know this might sound like a hassle, but as a final thing I could blame would be corrupted drivers. Unfortunately, the only way to fix that issue is reinstalling windows, would you mind doing it? It might fix all your problems altogether.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

I can't do that now sorry, maybe when i buy a new HD and a external HD i will sure do it.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

I don't know I have never used Asrock motherboards I hear they are good quality and value ect but you might want to research it before you get into it balls deep.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

So, any tips here for me to overclock the CPU ?

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

Mine's standard i guess, by aftermarket you mean the default one or a custom, if its a custom i don't have one, but to compensate my CPU is being cooled by 3 fans.

Nicolas145

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012

But what about the stock fan + 2 fans ?

G

even know the black editions are unlocked they still dont overclock to well and they heat up in a hurry.stock fans i would not go higher then 3.5 or 3.6 ghz plus the stock fans on those are ridiculously loud when they hit full load

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
even know the black editions are unlocked they still dont overclock to well and they heat up in a hurry.stock fans i would not go higher then 3.5 or 3.6 ghz plus the stock fans on those are ridiculously loud when they hit full load
Who says Phenom II BE heat up and THEY DO OVERCLOCK VERY WELL ! where are you getting your info from or I should say where are you getting your misinformation from.

He did mention on the stock HSF/fan setup. He'd definitely want an aftermarket HSF before he overclocks it a lot.

MMO Fan

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

That does not mean the CPU is a hot running CPU that means you need the right tools for the job such as an aftermarket CPU cooler like the CM Hyper 212+ ect made foe Over Clocking. You cant bitch about fuel economy when you bought a 6.0L V8 4x4 pick em up truck ect just like you cant bitch about a warm runing CPU when OCed on the stock cooler. Well you could bitch but you would be Wrong !