Is DDR3 the same as RAM?

Apr 5, 2017
Also, I downloaded the trial version of Sims 4. Sims 4 requires 4GB of RAM to run on the 64 bit version. I only have 3GB of DDR3 so a message popped up saying that it's recommended for me to run the 32 bit version. Will this cause any problems for Sims 4? Will it make it really glitchy and poor quality? If so, how do I extend my RAM space?

bignastyid

Titan
DDR3 is a type of ram. Minimum requirement is 2gb of ram. Since you already bought it why not run it and see how it runs? If you were worried about it running you should have just installed Origins trial version of the game before buying it, plus Origin has a return policy for recently purchased games.

You don't extend it. It's something physical. There is nothing you can do to add more RAM. Windows will take care of that for you. After its RAM resources are exhausted and it is still being asked for more it will use a page file(also known as virtual memory and swap file). What that means is that Windows will use some of your hard drive space as RAM. Yes, that's slower and can result in lag/stutters. Can I say for certain? No. Because it's offering a different version it should run smoother. Better? Idk.

Think I need to clarify my answer. You can possibly add more physical RAM but there is no changes you can make that will improve performance apart from more RAM. We would need to know your complete system to offer any possible RAM upgrades.

Extended and expanded RAM is a term from the DOS era. DOS could only address max 640 kB RAM. If you had more RAM like 1 or 2 MB, some software (for example some spreadsheets) could use it, if you made a setup for it up in CONFIG.SYS.
Extended RAM hasn't been used for over 20 years.

Nigel

TRENDING THREADS