Is DDR5 or DDR4 graphics cards compitable with Gigabyte G41MT-S2P Motherboard?

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018
I just want to know whether my Mobo (Gigabyte G41MT-S2P) will support DDR5 or DDR4 type Graphics cards. Currently I have a DDR3 type graphics card installed. But I want to upgrade to Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC 4G 4GB GDDR5 .

I heard from my friend that older mobos like mine has older bios versions and will not support DDR5/DDR4 graphics cards and will only support DDR3 type graphics cards. Is that true?

I can definitely upgrade my psu to any bronze 500w if needed. as long as there is no better DDR3 type graphics card than mine is available in the market, it would be better if i could upgrade to DDR5 GPU.( tired of playing games in low configuration)

details about my desktop:
processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8400(2.66ghz, 1333 FSB, LGA 775)
Cpu Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212X
Mother Board: Gigabyte G41MT-S2P
8gb DDR3(two pieces 4GB) of ram, 1333 FSB (Max supported Ram by my Mobo)
PSU: Gigabyte Hercules Pro 530( 450 actual watt)
Current GPU: Gigabyte Amd Radeon R7 250 2GB DDR3**
HDD: Western digital 1TB
1x Asus DVD writer
2x 120mm casing fans

Solution
Your board has...

Expansion Slots
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
2 x PCI Express x1 slots
1 x PCI slot

The 1050Ti will go into the PCIex16 lane. So it is compatible.
But your CPU will limit its performance to a lot of extent. Unless you are planning to upgrade to a better platform soon enough, you should go with the 1050(non-Ti) and save some money.
Your board has...

Expansion Slots
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16
2 x PCI Express x1 slots
1 x PCI slot

The 1050Ti will go into the PCIex16 lane. So it is compatible.
But your CPU will limit its performance to a lot of extent. Unless you are planning to upgrade to a better platform soon enough, you should go with the 1050(non-Ti) and save some money.

Solution

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018

Thanks for answering, and yes intel core to series cant utilize the gpus well. rather core i series performs better with same gpu. But I never seen someone to match a ddr5 gpu with LGA 775 socket(g41 series) mobo, rather once tried a geforce gt 630 DDR5 graphics in a different G41 mobo and it failed cause it took a restart as soon as I installed the driver from CD(LOL) and continued taking restart(DDR3 gpu works fine). But same DDR5 gpu worked fine in a core i5 (Lga 1155 mobo) PC. So I am still in doubt whether DDR5 gpus will work in my G41 mobo or not?

hakimul.islam

Reputable
Dec 19, 2018

Found evidence in youtube that DDR5 gpu works with G41/ LGA 775 socket mobos. you were right.
thanks again for your advice as well as answer. youtube proof:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t8ry5zitNE

thumbs up man. planning to upgrade to a core i5 "K" /Gaming edition processor soon.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
A GPU is basically a computer... Within your computer!

I know; it may sound weird but it's true. GPUs have their own processors, RAM, BIOS etc but unlike your computer which has separate RAM, CPU etc; everything is built on a single chip i.e PCB (Printed Circuit Board). This particular design is referred to as SoC aka System on Chip and is commonly found on smartphones.

There's a reason you can't upgrade the RAM on your Samsung Galaxy!

So it doesn't matter what kind of RAM your GPU has as compatibility is non-issue. Your GPU and PC share processed data via a specialized channel located within the PCIe slots on your motherboard. And the more "x" speed your slot has (x2, x4, x8, x16); the more processed data can be transfer to and from the GPU.

At any rate; I'm currently using a DDR5 GPU (GT440) with my DDR3 computer (Core i5 3rd Gen.) and I'm having zero problems. In fact; my system is TOO FAST for this GPU hence I'm looking forward to a GPU upgrade!

I hope it clears any confusion you may have regarding GPUs.

Reactions: hakimul.islam