Question Is Display Port connection flimsy by design?

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
When I use any HDMI device with any HDMI cable, the connection is sturdy, I can even wiggle the plug and the picture and sound continues without problems.

But recently I switched to Display Port, and when I connect the cable to my Graphics card I often have to keep plugging and unplugging, and getting NO SIGNAL, until it finally works.

And when it's working, barely even touching the plug makes it lose signal again.

I have GTX1070 with 3 DisplayPort outputs, all of them are very hard to connect to, while the HDMI output works flawlessly.

I have 2 different Display port cables, 1.8 and 2 metres and in both cases the same problems occur.

The shorter cable is the one that came with the monitor, and it even loses picture and sound sometimes.

Are these problems common for the DIsplayPort standard?

Or is it meant be sturdy like HDMI, and I just have faulty cables / graphics card sockets?

u700

Commendable
Feb 21, 2019
It is not common, I have no issues with any of my DP devices or cables. It may be a problem with the port on the monitor if that's the only variable you haven't changed.

What I just found, I have to plug the DP cable into the graphics card socket really hard, with a lot of force. Only then does it work reliably.

Also, what happens when you wiggle your DP plug at GPU socket? Does it continue working without interruptions?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You may need to adjust how your GPU is socketed into your system. If the DP connector is not going in smoothly it probably isn't lined up with the back of the computer. You might also need to look at more slim profile DP connectors, some of the bulky ones don't always fit well.

Chassis -> Motherboard -> GPU alignment. If anything is off slightly it will multiply the effect as you add components. Sometimes you need to loosen the motherboard screws, install the GPU, but leave it loose, install the DP connector, and then start tightening things up in the order of installation.

TRENDING THREADS