[SOLVED] Is Dolby Atmos Really Effective?

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
One of my friend wants to buy a sound system but he can't be sure which system he should buy. He asked me about sound bars with Dolby Atmos technology which create virtual 5+1 effect without physical rear speakers. It bounces the sound waves through to walls, so sound can be hear from your backside.

What he wants to learn that is it really good as physical speakers even though windows and other objects? His home and TV position like that: https://ibb.co/n872h0B
can.png

And with adding sound waves, we are waiting like that: https://ibb.co/nBjvvnq
can2.png

Is it really possible?
He is looking for LG SL8YG , LG SL9Y or LG SL10YG . Obviously last one is better but is it really worth this price differences?
I hope someone have one of these sound bars in here. Thank you guys

Solution
Sound bars are OK for small spaces. not good just ok if the room is uniform in shape and density.
Your room setup would have the left rear sounds reaching the viewing sofa long before the right rear speaker, breaking the sound field effect.
I have tried Bose and Polk Audio sound bars and was disappointed with both.
A true 5.1 or 7.1 setup for the same money will always sound better.
You sacrifice sound for convenience.
But then I am very picky about my sound. So you may find it acceptable, definitely better than TV speakers.
Sound bars are OK for small spaces. not good just ok if the room is uniform in shape and density.
Your room setup would have the left rear sounds reaching the viewing sofa long before the right rear speaker, breaking the sound field effect.
I have tried Bose and Polk Audio sound bars and was disappointed with both.
A true 5.1 or 7.1 setup for the same money will always sound better.
You sacrifice sound for convenience.
But then I am very picky about my sound. So you may find it acceptable, definitely better than TV speakers.

Solution

Tatoline

Reputable
Apr 12, 2020
Thank you for answer. So you think he can't get a good performance because of his room's shape. Of course he will get better sound than TV speakers but worse than real 5+1.

The reason that he is looking for a sound bar, he doesn't want these 5+1 cables all around in the room since he has a pet. But wireless 5+1 setups are much more expensive solution. I think It's hard to decide without trying both sound bars and 5+1 sound system in his own room.