is doom III alpha playable on my computer????

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
does anyone know if doom III is playable on my puter? or what fps i should expect from my poor system ..

celeron 1.7 512 ddr radeon 9100 64ddr 7200rpm hdd.

rcj187

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2002
probably not. if you want smooth gameplay i would say that you will need at least a radeon 9500pro and 2ghz cpu (preferebly not celeron)

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
woowwww... thats... ehh... hmmmm... i dont know what to say ... that means not too many ppl will buy the real game ?? :))

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
ok i found it out ... doom III is theoretically playable on a computer with 1,7ghz celeron 512mb ddr ram and radeon 9100 64mb ddr... but in real life ... it runs so slowly at 1024x768 that u can hate the game within minutes.. anyhow .. less then 1024x768 means nothing i can just keep playing Q3 arena...

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
the 1.7ghz celeron is garbage, doom 3 is going to run like shi% on your computer. Ditch it for a northwood 2.53Ghz pentium 4 or better at least. Also, its looking like the minimum graphics card for the game is going to be a radeon 9700 equivalent or a GeforceFx 5800/5900

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

actually you should be fine. You won't get the "latest and the greatest" visuals. As long as you scale it down you should be fine. It won't be as pretty. I would say you would need at least a geforce 2 or a radeon 8500 would be recommended.

I'd wait though! Doom III will cost 60 bucks! thats insane!!! Get the demo and see if you can play it too. If the demo runs bad then ya don't buy the game lol. Not your loss heh!

"Bread makes me poop!" - Special Ed

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

You're wrong!

The Doom 3 system requirements havent been released from the id Software team at this point but John Carmack has posted some of his ideas about the minimum hardware requirements regarding graphics cards.

"The requirement for GF1/Radeon 7500 as an absolute minimum is fundamental to the way the technology works, and was non-negotiable for the advances that I wanted to make. At the very beginning of development, I worked a bit on elaborate schemes to try and get some level of compatibility with Voodoo / TNT / Rage128 class hardware, but it would have looked like crap, and I decided it wasn't worth it.

The comfortable minimum performance level on this class of hardware is determined by what the artists and level designers produce. It would be possible to carefully craft a DOOM engine game that ran at good speed on an original SDR GF1, but it would cramp the artistic freedom of the designers a lot as they worried more about performance than aesthetics and gameplay.

Our "full impact" platform from the beginning has been targeted at GF3/Xbox level hardware. Slower hardware can disable features, and faster hardware gets higher frame rates and rendering quality. Even at this target, designers need to be more cognizant of performance than they were with Q3, and we expect some licensee to take an even more aggressive performance stance for games shipping in following years."

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

This should cheer you up. You need an xbox equivlent in hardware. such as a geforce 3 and a pentium 3 733 recommended i would guess. anything slower you'll have to disable features and anything faster you can enable features. You should be fine!!!! Watch out for extremes here! they ALL want you to have the latest and the greatest here but don't pay to much! Which contradicts themselves because you have to fork up the dough to get the latest and the greatest. Below is proof you'll be fine!

The Doom 3 system requirements havent been released from the id Software team at this point but John Carmack has posted some of his ideas about the minimum hardware requirements regarding graphics cards.

"The requirement for GF1/Radeon 7500 as an absolute minimum is fundamental to the way the technology works, and was non-negotiable for the advances that I wanted to make. At the very beginning of development, I worked a bit on elaborate schemes to try and get some level of compatibility with Voodoo / TNT / Rage128 class hardware, but it would have looked like crap, and I decided it wasn't worth it.

The comfortable minimum performance level on this class of hardware is determined by what the artists and level designers produce. It would be possible to carefully craft a DOOM engine game that ran at good speed on an original SDR GF1, but it would cramp the artistic freedom of the designers a lot as they worried more about performance than aesthetics and gameplay.

Our "full impact" platform from the beginning has been targeted at GF3/Xbox level hardware. Slower hardware can disable features, and faster hardware gets higher frame rates and rendering quality. Even at this target, designers need to be more cognizant of performance than they were with Q3, and we expect some licensee to take an even more aggressive performance stance for games shipping in following years."

actually the target is xbox level hardware. Which means a upper class geforce 3) and a pentium 3 733 minimum and probably a decent amount of hard drive space and a dvd-rom. I think doom 3 i last heard was suppose to be the first gaming title to be on dvd. i'm not sure though.

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
no, you'd need better than Xbox equivilent. Xbox does NOTHING except run the game, and it is optimized for the hardware. With your PC, it's running a bunch of other functions at the same time as your game, plus it isn't optimized for you system.

ok then i guess ID Software is wrong and your right. You are always right and everything that ID software says is wrong.

Lumathix

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2001
Dude.
Read what he said. It makes sense. A computer DOES run alot more simultaneous stuff as well as your game, and the XBox doesn't. That's all he was saying.

<font color=red> Mix it with the relish! </font color=red>

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
well i've been playing the alpha for a day now .. if graphics are lower then 1024x768 there is no point in playing the game cos it doesnt really look way better then q3 or Unreal2 and when u try 1024 with a 9100 radeon + celeron 1.7 + 512ddr the results are just BORING.... anyhow..... the game to be released on a DVD should be right cos the the alpha version with 3 little maps take about 1,1 Gb space... i dont want to think about a full game with 10-15 huge maps... should be released on a DVD else it will come with 4-5 cd's ...or even more.. btw if there are some more ppl who tried the alpha version on theri computer... if u write ur results (fps) and ur config like graphics card and processor i'll be glad..

Gherkin

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
"ok then i guess ID Software is wrong and your right. You are always right and everything that ID software says is wrong."

ha. Sure, you can play it on a lower end system but it's not going to look that great.

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
well i am not saying what id software says is wrong .. but i am sure what they are saying is a new way to torture pc users.... just try to run the ALPHA on min. system they tell u to play .. and u'll understand what i mean ... a PIII and a geforce 1 + 128 sdram sure can run the game .. but it will just run it ... runing something and being able to play something properly are 2 different things.. i think ..

Twitch

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2003
I think you're gonna need a GeForce 4 or better to really play this game well at medium or high quality settings. And I would wager an Athlon 1700+ with 512 megs would be a realistic minimum for the processor--that is if you want to get any idea of how the game is actually supposed to look.

Remember, a lot of companies set minimum requirements that are way too low, because they want to sell to a broader market. But if you don't believe me, try playing Unreal 2 or a similar, newer game at high quality levels on anything less than a Ti500 and a less-than-two-year-old processor. And if you say it's fine to play at low quality, well, let's just say we won't agree on that.

<font color=green>The Netherlands is where you go when you're too good for heaven.</font color=green> :tongue:

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
ok here is the min. config to enjoy doom III ... P4 3.06 or athlon xp 3200+ 1gb rdram or 1gb ddr radeon 9800 256mb or geforce fx 5900 ultra... 7200rpm hdd well ... something lower than this config will let u play the game but u wont enjoy it .. thats what i say ..... doom III is a great game as long as u run it with high res min 1024x768 32bit with very high detail.... else it looks like s**t... if u want to play it at 640x480 with low detail it will look worse than quake 3 ... so throw away your pc's and start shopping for the new one ....

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Is there anyway to change the resolution on it? And how do you get past that key lock thingy? And how do you change map? Also, did you know that by pressing F12 you get a rocket launcher?

I never get above 30Fps with a GF4 Ti 4200 and an AXP 2000+ with 512MB. This sometimes goes down to 12Fps.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=5467618 " target="_new">Almost Breaking 12k!!</A>

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
yeah i know the rocket ... and u can get the bfg and plasma gun from quake 3... by typing "give weapon_bfg" and "give weapon_plasmagun" u can try he chainsaw shotgun machinegun... to change the map just type "map e3/e3_1" for first map "map e3/e3_2" 2nd map "map e3/e3_3" 3rd map and "map e3/intro" for the intro map.

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
i still say without a geforce fx 5800-5900 ultra or radeon 9800 (not 9700) + a p4 3.06 ghz or athlon xp 3200+ ...this game is not better than quake 3

whisky

Distinguished
May 2, 2003
as long as u have the ultra high end pc u can boost the graphics and play doomIII with an average system dont think about it .. it wont be better than half life..

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I ran the doom 3 alpha on the following -
1800+
512 DDR 2100
ATI 8500 64MB
Asus A7v266-e
WDC 30GB ata100

and was getting 10-20 fps with out and tweaks!
Then with the tweaks (turning off all detail) I was able to get 30-40 FPS.

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.

dracvdr

Distinguished
May 24, 2003
What about an AthlonXP 1800+ with 512MB PC2100 of RAM and a Radeon 9700 Pro Card? By the way I don't think that DOOM III will be shipped in a DVD. Remember the way the public greeted the Metal Gear Solid Substance DVD for the PC?