[SOLVED] Is Enermax Revolution 1000W Gold good for my PC?

Solution
This Enermax Revolution 87+ is a solid unit.

Voltage regulation(means how well your PSU keeps output voltage within specified margins on different loads) on this unit is great.

Ripple(variation of DC voltage after the conversion from AC... usually appears due to incomplete suppresion of the AC sinusoidal waveform after the conversion to DC) numbers are acceptable too... 45mV at a load of 1000W... not the best by today's PSUs, but still decent.

It clears the 80+ gold efficiency effortlessly, so that's another good sign.
This PSU uses a quad rail design for the +12V. This multi rail setup was made due to older intel CPU which required one +12V rail... the others are left for the GPU, RAM, etc.
Current PSUs nowadays are usually using a...

Voltage regulation(means how well your PSU keeps output voltage within specified margins on different loads) on this unit is great.

Ripple(variation of DC voltage after the conversion from AC... usually appears due to incomplete suppresion of the AC sinusoidal waveform after the conversion to DC) numbers are acceptable too... 45mV at a load of 1000W... not the best by today's PSUs, but still decent.

This PSU uses a quad rail design for the +12V. This multi rail setup was made due to older intel CPU which required one +12V rail... the others are left for the GPU, RAM, etc.
Current PSUs nowadays are usually using a single +12V rail design, as that limitation is no more.
This difference won't matter that much in the grand scheme of things though.

You won't need 1000W for that system configuration, that's for sure... it's overkill.
You could look for Corsair CX models(grey label) ... the 550W model will be enough, 650W being already much more than you need.
Also if you have the budget Seasonic Focus plus models are outstanding.

Conclusion: I don't have any major gripe recommending this PSU, it's an older design, but a decent unit nonetheless. If this is your only choice and you can't buy newer stuff.... there's nothing wrong with this Enermax model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jsolz
Solution
Feb 26, 2020
Hello, it's sale on this psu i can get it for around 80 dollars where i live? Is it worth it? Someone says that this psu is outdated and things. Anybody knows if it's any good and if i should buy it?
What's good and bad about this psu?

PSU:
https://www.enermax.com/home.php?fn=eng/product_a1_1_1&lv0=1&lv1=58&no=190

My PC:
https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c06085605

Current PSUs nowadays are usually using a single +12V rail design, as that limitation is no more.

You won't need 1000W for that system configuration, that's for sure... it's overkill.
You could look for Corsair CX models(grey label) ... the 550W model will be enough, 650W being already much more than you need.

Conclusion: I don't have any major gripe recommending this PSU, it's an older design, but a decent unit nonetheless. If this is your only choice and you can't buy newer stuff.... there's nothing wrong with this Enermax model.
Wow thank you for that amazing answer, yeah the problem is that the other PSUS are on regular price and therefore around the same price as this PSU, im thinking of buying this because i don't know about my future upgrades, maybe i get two RTX 2080, maybe one, maybe a better CPU, i don't know nothing yet. But to be safe for sure and not have to worry about the PSU is a priority kinda right now. What do you think? And also you talked about older psu 12V rail. Is there any negativites about that since i have a i5-8400 CPU or will it do the job. Thanks for your answer and putting time into answering and looking it up.

That model is from 2012 at the latest. It only has support for the C6 state and not the C7 state that was introduced in Haswell so you have a better chance of cross load issues. Not to mention that Coffee Lake has C8, C9, & C10 states. If this were going into a system running Ivy Bridge it wouldn't be an issue.

Wow thank you for that amazing answer, yeah the problem is that the other PSUS are on regular price and therefore around the same price as this PSU, im thinking of buying this because i don't know about my future upgrades, maybe i get two RTX 2080, maybe one, maybe a better CPU, i don't know nothing yet. But to be safe for sure and not have to worry about the PSU is a priority kinda right now. What do you think? And also you talked about older psu 12V rail. Is there any negativites about that since i have a i5-8400 CPU or will it do the job. Thanks for your answer and putting time into answering and looking it up.
Right now most games do not support multi-GPU so getting a single fast GPU is better.

Reactions: Jsolz and King_V
Another thing to remember is that PSU's get their best efficiency running at about a 50% load. You will never hit a 50% load with that PSU so you are losing efficiency. Yes there are worse PSUs out there, but compared to a Seasonic GX, EVGA G3, Corsair RM(x) that Enermax is in a distant 4th place.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
maybe i get two RTX 2080

Don't bother - SLI is a thing of the past, and is not really supported in modern games anymore. Multi-GPU setups are a thing of the past, and a waste of money today.

That PSU wattage rating is overkill. Also, I'm a little uncomfortable with such an old design PSU being used on a modern system. That might explain why it's relatively cheap for its power rating.

Are you in the US? I would suggest spending more on the PSU, to get a known high-quality, MODERN power supply. Remember, a good PSU will protect your expensive PC components, a bad one could potentially fry them if something goes wrong.

One example:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Wx...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020194-na

650W is plenty for your needs, even if you go with a 2080Ti in the future.

Feb 26, 2020
Another thing to remember is that PSU's get their best efficiency running at about a 50% load. You will never hit a 50% load with that PSU so you are losing efficiency. Yes there are worse PSUs out there, but compared to a Seasonic GX, EVGA G3, Corsair RM(x) that Enermax is in a distant 4th place.
Ok thank you for your reply, you've changed my mind. But i'm thinking of buying 16gb more ram cause this PC just has 8gb. Will my pc Overheat. The wattage in my pc is just 300W right now. Look at the PC specs that i put in the post.

Ok thank you for your reply, you've changed my mind. But i'm thinking of buying 16gb more ram cause this PC just has 8gb. Will my pc Overheat. The wattage in my pc is just 300W right now. Look at the PC specs that i put in the post.
Your computer won't over heat from adding more RAM. Also 300W is the current size of your PSU but your whole system won't draw that much power.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Rz...d-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-focus-gx-650
That is another choice for a PSU that is as good as the one that King-V suggested.

Reactions: King_V