Is EVGA G3 noisy?

tony353

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
Hello,

I have been reading that this PSU (EVGA G3 650/750/850W) has some fan issues like on ECO mode when pc idle fans suddenly kicking to 100% or on ECO mode fans running all the time. If this issue still persists can anyone share their observings? Should I pick this or head for Corsair or other brands? Thank you

waylo

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I've posted a lot on this forum and also EVGA forums about this. So maybe you've read some of my comments already. I've returned my 850W G3 for a Corsair RX750x. (The 750 was less noisy on testing done here, I probably don't need anywhere close to 850W).

The thorough reviews here by Aris on both the 850W and 1000W show the fan kicking in at low loads immediately to a 'high' decibel levels (for a PSU). My personal experience confirmed that. On ECO, it is quiet until it's not, then it's very noticeable.

With ECO off, it does remain fairly quiet.

I'm not saying the quality otherwise of the G3 is bad. The build is very nice. It's well made and compact. But the noise was one of the main reasons I chose to spend >$100 for a PSU, and ECO mode isn't cutting it. Maybe the reduction in size accounts for this aggressive fan behavior. Aris comments on this on the conclusion page of his 1000W review.

Now, it's possible the fan profiles for <850W EVGA units are less aggressive.

tony353

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

Maybe this issue occurs on earlier G3 models. When did you buy your first G3 PSU? I want to grab 650W G3 and I have read that this model is compact and silent which is my reasons to buy also it is same price as 550W -RMx much more expensive-. When I consider this kind of problem I'm not sure I can spend 100 bucks on this type of power supply if it has still issues.

waylo

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

I bought it about 2 weeks ago. It was mailed back last week. Only bought one.