[SOLVED] Is EVGA SuperNOVA 1600W enough for 2x RTX 4090?

Sep 8, 2022
Hi there.

I'm going to replace my old PC, I'm learning 3D, Vfx, etc...

I saw this amazing deal on Newegg, https://www.newegg.com/evga-supernova-1600-p-220-pp-1600-x1-1600-w/p/N82E16817438232?Description=psu 1600w&cm_re=psu_1600w--17-438-232--Product&quicklink=true

I was wandering will it handle double RTX 4090 GPUs?

I'm planning to buy one when it's released and another one in the future.

I'm asking this because I read that those GPUs will have high power spikes and I don't know if this old generation PSU will handle it. Theoretically 1600w is more than enough for 2x RTX 4090, 64gb RAM and a new Ryzen CPUs, right?

It is rumored that the power consumption of 4090 will be 450W.

Sorry for my English and please help me out : )

Solution
Its hard to say until the cards are actually released.
That said, I wouldnt buy that specific deal. Its not sold by an EVGA authorized retailer (musicallover, not newegg), and it ships straight from china, chances are there is something fishy going on here. Also means you probably wouldnt get any warranty.
Another thing to look into is if you actually need two video cards. The 4090 is rumored to be a beast of a performer anyway. So unless your time is literally money and you can recoup the cost of the 4090 relatively easily through whatever it is you're doing, or money is of no real concern, it's not going to be worth doubling up on it.

Reactions: maxime1998
Sep 8, 2022
Another thing to look into is if you actually need two video cards. The 4090 is rumored to be a beast of a performer anyway. So unless your time is literally money and you can recoup the cost of the 4090 relatively easily through whatever it is you're doing, or money is of no real concern, it's not going to be worth doubling up on it.

I don't need it for gaming. I'll use it for 3D GPU rendering and simulations with Houdini. GPU render engines aren't stressing GPUs as much as gaming does.

Sep 8, 2022
Its hard to say until the cards are actually released.
That said, I wouldnt buy that specific deal. Its not sold by an EVGA authorized retailer (musicallover, not newegg), and it ships straight from china, chances are there is something fishy going on here. Also means you probably wouldnt get any warranty.
Damn, that's definitely fishy :D
Thanks for such a clear answer.

Sep 8, 2022
1.) We have no idea on specs, so no one can say what PSU you will need.

We don't even know if SLI will continue to be a thing, it was heavily fazed out in the 30 series.
I'm 95% sure that RTX 4090 will have Nvlink like 3090 & 2080 had.
Actually Nvlink is really beneficial for 3D rendering engines like Redshift and Octane.
For gaming, indeed it's a waste of money.

TRENDING THREADS