Is Expresscache working correctly on my Lenovo

bcdudley

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2007
I have installed a 64Gb msata drive along with the Lenovo Expresscache software. I can see that it is caching files to the drive, however I have not really seen a huge decrease in boot time. I was just wondering if there was a way to check it?

C:\Windows\system32>eccmd.exe -info
ExpressCache Command Version 1.0.86.0
Copyright⌐ 2010-2011 Diskeeper Corporation.
Date Time: 8/25/2012 17:6:34:995 (BDUDLEY-LT #18)

EC Cache Info
==================================================
Mounted : Yes
Partition Size : 32.00 GB
Reserved Size : 3.00 MB
Volume Size : 32.00 GB
Total Used Size : 15.72 GB
Total Free Space : 16.28 GB
Used Data Size : 15.64 GB
Used Data Size on Disk : 15.71 GB

Tiered Cache Stats
Memory in use : 960.00 MB
Blocks in use : 7634
Read Percent : 1.32%

Cache Stats
Cache Volume Drive Number : 1
Total Read Count : 64622
Total Read Size : 1.70 GB
Total Cache Read Count : 56283
Total Cache Read Size : 1.08 GB
Total Write Count : 13536
Total Write Size : 683.74 MB
Total Cache Write Count : 47
Total Cache Write Size : 1016.00 KB

Cache Read Percent : 63.80%
Cache Write Percent : 0.15%

Solution

Two things here:

1) Expresscache utilizes a...

Raubhautz

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Two things here:

1) Expresscache utilizes a driver loaded into memory to activate the service, and as such, will probably provide minimal benefit to the boot process depending on the point that it is actually loaded.

2) Your results show that you, indeed, are reaping the benefits of caching, at least at the time of this report, a 63.8% read cache is sweet. Of course that will change depending on your activities.

If you really want to speed up your boot-up, get a 128 or 256 GB SSD for your C: drive (system drive), load your OS and major programs on there, then install a 2nd drive (or use the one you are currently using) as an app. drive. Then in eccmd, exclude your 'C' drive (caching a ssd drive can actually hurt your performance, in some cases, badly :ouch: ), now you can get the benefits of speed all around.

Solution

Arkann

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I have tested ExpressCache on my Acer Aspire S3 (20GB SSD + 500 GB HDD) with Windows 8.
I am very surprised of your low amount of cache writing. In my case, just for boot, I reached more than 20-40% after a few tries.

I really wander about about the effect of ReadyBoost + ExpressCache or FancyCache + ExpressCache.

ReadyBoost key feature is the Superfetch : the capacity to predict what you need to cache in advance.
ExpressCache key feature is the persistance of the cache : it does work for boot (in my case, in stand alone it works)
FancyCache key feature is the configurable write deferring : you can select the writing reduction
"Whatevername" hibernation partition : Increase the hibernation wake-up.

Combining those advantages seems good on paper, but are they going to do the same job multiple times and then reduce your performance.
For example, ExpressCache is showing presistance and will decrease the boot load. But associated with Readyboost, that is session encrypted file, it will need to recreate the Readyboost cache just after booting, decreasing the performance.
I have not yet tried FancyCache with ExpressCache. I did not found a way to switch off ExpressCache writing feature that still include a feature of anti-fragmentation. I want to turn it off and only ask FancyCache to do the writing (only a small size would be sufficient) with a pretty long defering delay (10-30+ seconds).

In your case, I really wander what will Expresscache do when ReadyBoost load a file. Will there be a duplication of the cache between the two ? A redundancy would probably decreases the performance.

Raubhautz

Honorable
May 4, 2012

Hi, yes, the probable reason for low write cache on this sample was I performed the check within minutes after booting, more importantly, is the fact that my c:\drive is a Samsung 512GB SSD, and since I wrote the initial post, I have moved the cache to my W520 whose C:\ drive is a standard HD. I'll get reports later this weekend on that unit and see what is there. I agree that on my W530, the cache was not helping (much), and likely hurting.

I like your idea of fancycache... if it works! Keep me posted, I am very curious.

Phil