[SOLVED] Is external drive repair a ripoff?

Jan 27, 2019
I have an external drive that was inaccessible. I tried chkdsk and it didn't work. I took it to computer repair store and they said that it would be $500 or more. My father had the same problem and took it to a store in another state that quoted him $1200. Neither of us took the deal but my father's drive was taken out of its enclosure. I am visiting my dad so I decided to try some online software. But first I had to get a hard disk reader (sabrent $26 and a usb 3.0 $5). Now both drives are accessible. Does that mean that mechanical failure is the problem?

By the way, I did try recuva and I recovered many deleted files but that wasn't really my goal.

Solution
With external drives it's usually the usb or sata controller on the external enclosure PCB not the hard drive itself that fails. You can usually just use the drive as an internal disk drive or just by another empty external enclosure and fit your harddrive to it.

racksmith101

Respectable
With external drives it's usually the usb or sata controller on the external enclosure PCB not the hard drive itself that fails. You can usually just use the drive as an internal disk drive or just by another empty external enclosure and fit your harddrive to it.

Solution
Jan 27, 2019

yes that seems to be what happened. Considering the difference in price, I hope people check this before they spend alot on drive repair first