[SOLVED] Is faster memory for ryzen 3700x used without overclocking

raknarius

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Hi all,
I plan to build a system in august with a ryzen 3700x. This is primarily for gaming im going to be buying a 32gb ram kit 2x16 running it on a x570mb.

My question is im considering ram from 3000 to 3600 looking for the sweet spot. I havent had a amd system since the athlon days so im not sure how memory and the cpu works together.

I do not want to overclock the cpu or the memory.

So my question is can i use faster memory, still get the advantages of it, without stepping up the cpu as well. or is the more expensive memory wasted if im not overclocking because they are linked somehow.

Im hearing amd says 3600 is the sweet spot for the new ryzen processors. So what do you think?

Solution
Yeah once you go above 3733mhz, you have to adjust the infinity fabric multiplier which adds latency.

So my best guess is to max out at 3700mhz, then tighten sub timings to improve performance without a latency penalty.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
IIRC, AMD is actually recommending 3600MHz, so there's going to be a debate on the 'sweet spot'. Support should be there for >4000MHz.

Yes, you can use XMP or A-XMP to enable faster speeds without impacting CPU speed like you're thinking from the Athlon days.
There are some slight impacts, but nothing anybody would consider 'overclocking' these days.

As for overclocking, there's really no need for overclocking on Ryzen 2nd Gen, or Zen2. With the right board, and cooling/voltage headroom, the CPU will boost beyond it's 'stock' base/boost clocks anyway.