Question Is Firefox Supposed to Use This Much Memory?

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
This is with one tab open. I currently have 8 tabs open and it's at 20GB. If it's the trade-off of using Firefox (chrome tracks everything), I don't mind, but it seems like a lot - side note, I almost went with 16 gb of ram thinking 30 was redundant, except for no DDR5 ram came in 8x2 GB that was at a reasonable MT/s.
There's also like 5 or 6 random firefoxes taking negligible amounts of memory down the list.

ram.jpg

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
Right now I have 6 Firefox tabs open.

Total RAM usage in Task Manager for Firefox is under 1 GB.

I don't track it often enough to know if that is typical. I have only 8 GB RAM.

I noticed an option in the general settings under performance that reads: use recommended performance settings. When I unchecked it, mine went down to 1GB, too. It also dropped the CPU load by 20% and the temp by 14 degrees. The description says it will tailor it to your operating system & hardware, but I still don't see why it would need that much ram and cpu usage just because it can. Outta curiosity, if someone with 60GB or higher ram sees this, let me know how much usage you get with that option checked.

septune

Prominent
Dec 17, 2022
No, like in the Firefox settings. General category on the left, then when you scroll to the bottom, third from the bottom is the Performance heading.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
also need to look at what that tab is showing. a basic log in screen is nowhere near as much data as one with multiple videos, audio and other animated "bling" on the page.

one tab open right now for me is this page and i'm barely over 250mb used.

if i open a second tab of the main youtube page and now it's approaching 1 gb used

so it matters a lot what you are actually looking at, even if it is only a single tab.