[SOLVED] Is Fixed Core Voltage and Fixed Cpu ratio Ok for long-term usage (20/7) ?

Rohan98

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Hi,
I have made my very first computer system a month ago and am new to overclocking.
After researching I managed to Find my FIT voltage for my Ryzen 3300x to be
1.263 v avg with PBO Enabled (Prime 95 Small FFT).
So I went to the Motherboard settings and set the Fixed CPU frequency ratio to 43.25 and a Fix Voltage to 1.25.
System Runs smoothly However I am skeptical about the always fixed voltage and fixed Clock of the CPU. Are Fixed Clocks unstable on the ryzen 3000s?
Ps my max temps never cross 71 C (Deepcool Gammax GTEv2 Air Cooler)

My System Specs
Msi B550m Pro VDH Wifi
Ryzen 3 3300x
RTX 3070 FE
GIgabyte p650b 650W PSU

Last edited:
Solution
Hi,
I have made my very first computer system a month ago and am new to overclocking.
So I went to the Motherboard settings and set the Fixed CPU frequency ratio to 4.325 and a Fix Voltage to 1.25.
System Runs smoothly However I am skeptical about the always fixed voltage and fixed Clock of the CPU. Are Fixed Clocks unstable on the ryzen 3000s?

My System Specs
Msi B550m Pro VDH Wifi
Ryzen 3 3300x
RTX 3070 FE
GIgabyte p650b 650W PSU
How have you stress tested your system? It probably doesn't need something like Prime 95, small FFT for...
Hi,
So I went to the Motherboard settings and set the Fixed CPU frequency ratio to 4.325 and a Fix Voltage to 1.25.

My System Specs
Msi B550m Pro VDH Wifi
Ryzen 3 3300x
RTX 3070 FE
GIgabyte p650b 650W PSU
Just opposite, as long as it's stable and cool, it's better. It can b somewhat corrected by using right settings in your power plan.

Reactions: Rohan98

Rohan98

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
Just opposite, as long as it's stable and cool, it's better. It can b somewhat corrected by using right settings in your power plan.
Thank you for your Reply.
I will run at
4.325 Ghz 1.25v fixed as a daily driver. (Rated boost clock of 3300x is 4.3 Ghz)

Also i use the Ryzen balanced power plan in windows as i have read it is better for games.

Hi,

My System Specs
Msi B550m Pro VDH Wifi
Ryzen 3 3300x
RTX 3070 FE
GIgabyte p650b 650W PSU
How have you stress tested your system? It probably doesn't need something like Prime 95, small FFT for 24 hours stability test but you might like to know the occasional AVX-heavy workload that comes along doesn't crash it out randomly.

Also, have you performance tested it? When set up right Ryzen 3000 is very dynamic in operation and very hard to overclock with good effect. In particular it usually gives much higher performance in lightly threaded work loads than when clocks are locked with a fix, stable, CPU frequency. Since we most often use it in lightly threaded workloads (that's gaming, BTW) it makes little sense to gimp it's performance by locking it. Test it with CB20, both multi-thread and single-thread tests.

And lastly, when set up right it can spike temperature even at idle and that makes people think it's running 'hot'. It's not really, it's just a characteristic of the 7nm process used. Instead what you need to do is set up a custom fan profile if that is what is bothering you.

Solution

Rohan98

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
How have you stress tested your system? It probably doesn't need something like Prime 95, small FFT for 24 hours stability test but you might like to know the occasional AVX-heavy workload that comes along doesn't crash it out randomly.

Also, have you performance tested it? When set up right Ryzen 3000 is very dynamic in operation and very hard to overclock with good effect. In particular it usually gives much higher performance in lightly threaded work loads than when clocks are locked with a fix, stable, CPU frequency. Since we most often use it in lightly threaded workloads (that's gaming, BTW) it makes little sense to gimp it's performance by locking it. Test it with CB20, both multi-thread and single-thread tests.

And lastly, when set up right it can spike temperature even at idle and that makes people think it's running 'hot'. It's not really, it's just a characteristic of the 7nm process used. Instead what you need to do is set up a custom fan profile if that is what is bothering you.
Ok Fair Enough
I never used games as test or benchmark for my CPU OC
But I did run CB 20 back to back 3 times getting consistent scores hovering around 2530.
Prime 95: 3 threads throw error in first 5 min.
However, I never do any video editing, rendering, or streaming.
My daily use includes some programming. (Nothing too CPU intensive) and 1080p Gaming.
Max my cpu gets used is during Game Installation or extraction where these workloads run for around 2 hours in some cases.

Edit: Forgot to mention.
As far as temps are concerned I have good airflow (front mesh cabinet) WIth air cooler
Prime 95 maxes temps at 80 C
While cb 20 maxes at 73 C

Also Thank you for the reply :)

Prime 95: 3 threads throw error in first 5 min.
...:)
That's the real clue... it shows the voltage needs to be raised. But whether it's a priority depends on what test it was doing at the time. If running a balanced stress test it takes about 5 minutes until it changes from a large FFT that doesn't work the CPU as hard to a smaller FFT that works it extremely hard, so that could be what's doing it.

That does, however, pretty well simulate some of the heavier workloads like rendering where it can transition in a similar fashion. Or if you should ever want to participate in a distributed computing project like Folding@Home, that too will transition and it could crash out. Or worse...you come back the next day and find all your projects rejected because of errors in the math.

Rohan98

Reputable
Dec 29, 2016
That's the real clue... it shows the voltage needs to be raised. But whether it's a priority depends on what test it was doing at the time. If running a balanced stress test it takes about 5 minutes until it changes from a large FFT that doesn't work the CPU as hard to a smaller FFT that works it extremely hard, so that could be what's doing it.

That does, however, pretty well simulate some of the heavier workloads like rendering where it can transition in a similar fashion. Or if you should ever want to participate in a distributed computing project like Folding@Home, that too will transition and it could crash out. Or worse...you come back the next day and find all your projects rejected because of errors in the math.
Yes, I Do understand the system is little unstable at such higher workload.
I reduced the clocks to 4.3 (from 4.325) and Core Voltage to Fixed 1.25v
I really don't want to increase the Core V any more since i would like to use the chip for 2 years at least.
Small FFT prime 95 still does throw errors however after 10 mins of testing now on 2 threads with 84 C.
But Smallest FFT does not crash and CB 20 Doesnt crash either. I think ill use these settings till I see a crash or error in my daily usage.

As far as my question goes I think it has fairly been answered That yes Fixed Core V and Fixed Clocks are stable for even an Idle System load.
Correct me if I am wrong here @CountMike @drea.drechsler .
Thank You

Yes, I Do understand the system is little unstable at such higher workload.
I reduced the clocks to 4.3 (from 4.325) and Core Voltage to Fixed 1.25v
I really don't want to increase the Core V any more since i would like to use the chip for 2 years at least.
Small FFT prime 95 still does throw errors however after 10 mins of testing now on 2 threads with 84 C.
But Smallest FFT does not crash and CB 20 Doesnt crash either. I think ill use these settings till I see a crash or error in my daily usage.

As far as my question goes I think it has fairly been answered That yes Fixed Core V and Fixed Clocks are stable for even an Idle System load.
Correct me if I am wrong here @CountMike @drea.drechsler .
Thank You
1.3 -1325v or close to it is just as safe as 1.25v. It's worth it to use it for the sake of full stability. Ryzen can take over 1.5v without immediate damage.