Is FPM that bad compared to EDO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm looking to upgrade the memory of an old 120Mhz computer that has 16MB of EDO memory. Prices look like $25 for 32MB of FPM memory and $120 for the same amount of EDO. Tom's guide says use FPM only as a last resort. How bad is it really?

Thanks for any advice.
-rob

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Both are awful! Don't waste your money on that system. Extra RAM won't help performance much. Your PC is just about 6 years out of date. I wouldn't expect it to even run Windows 98 and Office 2000 smoothly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOur shopping in the wrong place. I'll sell you 128MB of EDO (two 64MB modules) for $50, and a Pentium 200MMX for $20. If you want to shop around, you can get better prices than that.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

G

The performance of EDO and FPM is almost the same. The diffrence is about 5%. There's no point in wasting money for EDO. Remember that you have to put SIMMs in pairs only. It's strongly recommended to both modules be the same. If you have 2 pairs, put the slower one into bank one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS