is FreeSync a AMD only technology?

Hyedwtditpm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2014
When FreeSync was first introduced, it was supposed to be an open format that all vendors are going to use.

But i don't see Nvidia giving up Gsync . So is Freesync going to be a AMD only tech?

it's not going to be a good choice if Nvidia isn't going to support it.

Freesync is Proprietary. A-sync, which Freesync uses to function, is open. If Nvidia decides to support A-sync, it will not be called Freesync. They may just support it under G-sync, or call it something new. Then again, they may just not ever support A-sync. They are not required to do so, and may choose to compete against these monitors with their own.

They do work differently, and would require AMD to write new drivers and possibly add hardware, to work with it, but unless G-sync is opened up, AMD is not legal able to use it. It would have to be hacked software to use it.

What exactly is bullshit about G-sync? I hope you are referring to it being proprietary, because the end result is the same as Freesync is going to be, with an added perk of UMLB and color correction for UMLB built in.

There are no Freesync monitors out in the wild yet, and none have been at any shows, so we have nothing to compare yet, but I'd expect the variable refresh rate part to be equal. It won't have the ULMB mode.