Question Is FX-8150 compatible with Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2?

Feb 10, 2021
I decided to put together a budget system, and based on the manual I decided that a Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 would support an fx-8150 with 8gb RAM and a gtx 760 powered by a 650w PSU should be fine. However I have run into trouble getting the system to post, there are no beeps, only a black screen. I have done plenty of research but I just wanted to clarify, is this because the Gigabyte board, despite saying it can support an 8150, in fact not being able to deliver enough power to it?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
See here for a troubleshooting guide to assist with recommended steps to work through the problem:

Feb 10, 2021
For a list of compatible CPUs, see here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-R2-rev-10/support#support-cpu

The FX-8150 is on the list.

Did you reset the BIOS at any point during your troubleshooting? Also, are you certain that the CPU and GPU are in working order?

Yes I have reset the bios. The CPU and GPU were both sold as tested and working. I looked into the issue and it seemed a lot of people had the same problem, reseating RAM, changing the PSU and running off of onboard graphics all produced the same result. Black screen and not beeping.

Feb 10, 2021

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's an FX 8150, it has no integrated graphics, basically requires a discrete gpu for outputs.

Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 is a 760G chipset designed for 95w cpus, bios upgraded to allow the 125w FX, but that's pushing the limits of the board. Do not expect any OC at all, the 4+1 phase power cannot handle it. This board was a later arrival in 2017, there is no bios update, the only bios is the original release F1, so all am3+ cpus are listed by default.

So far you say black screen and no post. That honestly says nothing. What exactly IS happening? Is the cpu fan spinning up, case fans, any leds on the board or case or gpu fans spinning, hdd powering up etc.

No post could be as simple as not turning on the switch in back of the psu or miswired front connectors etc, not necessarily a hardware fault.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It's an FX 8150, it has no integrated graphics, basically requires a discrete gpu for outputs.

Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 R2 is a 760G chipset designed for 95w cpus, bios upgraded to allow the 125w FX, but that's pushing the limits of the board. Do not expect any OC at all, the 4+1 phase power cannot handle it. This board was a later arrival in 2017, there is no bios update, the only bios is the original release F1, so all am3+ cpus are listed by default.

So far you say black screen and no post. That honestly says nothing. What exactly IS happening? Is the cpu fan spinning up, case fans, any leds on the board or case or gpu fans spinning, hdd powering up etc.

No post could be as simple as not turning on the switch in back of the psu or miswired front connectors etc, not necessarily a hardware fault.
Are you sure about the on-board video? Seems the chip provides just that. Just asking to make sue I didn't miss something. Mobos from that era, including this one it seems, provided integrated video via the chipset.

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
  2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
  3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    * Simultaneous output for DVI-D and HDMI is not supported.
  4. Support for DirectX 10

Feb 10, 2021

Everything is wired up correctly as far as I can tell (both the 24 pin and 8 pin are connected to the motherboard, the fans are plugged in correctly). Upon turning on the fans spin up as does the hard drive if connected but no beep codes are emitted and no display outputed.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
I have 4 2gb sticks, which I have tried in each slot one at a time to no avail.
Mobo should work with that CPU, FXs have that blackscreen problem and I managed to somewhat solve it by playing with the memory sticks

Are you sure about the on-board video? Seems the chip provides just that. Just asking to make sue I didn't miss something. Mobos from that era, including this one it seems, provided integrated video via the chipset.

1. 1 x D-Sub port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
  2. 1 x DVI-D port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    * The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
  3. 1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 1920x1200
    * Simultaneous output for DVI-D and HDMI is not supported.
  4. Support for DirectX 10
Graphics were only for Semprons and Athlons IIRC, Phenoms and beyond aren't compatible with the onboard graphics even if the board's chipset is

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Seems that's one of the oddball boards that actually still had a graphics chipset. Specs say it has HD3000 integrated. So that should work regardless of whether the gpu is installed or not.

Since neither work, the only common factors would be ram, monitor or cable.

If ram was the issue, (assuming there's actually a working pc speaker) you'd get bleeps. If cpu was an issue, you'd get constant bleeps. I'd be looking to see if the monitor or cable isn't the culprit.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021
Mobo should work with that CPU, FXs have that blackscreen problem and I managed to somewhat solve it by playing with the memory sticks

Graphics were only for Semprons and Athlons IIRC, Phenoms and beyond aren't compatible with the onboard graphics even if the board's chipset is
Ok, in which case I will try obtaining some different memory

Feb 10, 2021
Seems that's one of the oddball boards that actually still had a graphics chipset. Specs say it has HD3000 integrated. So that should work regardless of whether the gpu is installed or not.

Since neither work, the only common factors would be ram, monitor or cable.

If ram was the issue, (assuming there's actually a working pc speaker) you'd get bleeps. If cpu was an issue, you'd get constant bleeps. I'd be looking to see if the monitor or cable isn't the culprit.
Good suggestion, but having tried two monitors with different cables still no output