Question Is FX-8350 still good for gaming

Jul 4, 2019
I was building a cheap PC for a friend using CPU AMD FX-8350 69$ :) and RX580 and I tested using
Assassin’s Creed Odyssey Benchmark with high settings and FHD, and I found that this CPU still can handle AAA title with high setting
CPU load it was below 65%!

I uploaded the video on YouTube you can check it here

Best Regards,

Jul 4, 2019
This was a terrible idea for even a budget PC in 2019.

Cost wise, my friend has already 16GB ddr3, and CPU + Motherboard cost less than 140$ less than cost of ryzen 5 2600 and ryzen 6 1600, before AMD Ryzen price goes down

and you can get FX-8350 used for only 40$ or less used in ebay, I am posting this, for anyone want to buy cheap CPU and wonder if it handle new games or not and he can upgrade later, especially if has DDR3 for example

DSzymborski

Titan
Cost wise, my friend has already 16GB ddr3, and CPU + Motherboard cost less than 140$ less than cost of ryzen 5 2600 and ryzen 6 1600, before AMD Ryzen price goes down

and you can get FX-8350 used for only 40$ or less used in ebay, I am posting this, for anyone want to buy cheap CPU and wonder if it handle new games or not and he can upgrade later, especially if has DDR3 for example

Ah, you said "building a cheap PC" not "upgrading a CPU and GPU." So there was an assumption that you actually bought an AM3+ motherboard and RAM.

Jul 4, 2019
Ah, you said "building a cheap PC" not "upgrading a CPU and GPU." So there was an assumption that you actually bought an AM3+ motherboard and RAM.

Yep that is my mistake, only Ram it was available, anyways my goal is, still worth the money, if you find a good deal or used in eBay for example, it should be good start for less money, sure if you have extra 50$ or more you should go for ryzen 1st or 2nd gen

That's good processor for everyday stuff like browsing reading maybe little bit of editing. But for gaming i think 2600 or 3770 would much more worthier than that.
But AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core and FX-8370E are still pretty good. compared to other FX models these are offering a great scale of performance for the amount of power they consumed.
I wouldn't refuse if can have good deal specially for these two CPUs .

Jul 4, 2019
That's good processor for everyday stuff like browsing reading maybe little bit of editing. But for gaming i think 2600 or 3770 would much more worthier than that.
But AMD FX-8320E Eight-Core and FX-8370E are still pretty good. compared to other FX models these are offering a great scale of performance for the amount of power they consumed.
I wouldn't refuse if can have good deal specially for these two CPUs .

sure AMD FX-8320E better in power consumption, and it will be better if you get it with better price, but this CPU FX-8350 come with LED wrath cooler which is much better than standard stock cooler, the electricity in my country is cheap,
but as you said, if you get FX-8320E or FX-8370E it will be better in some cases

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
when were FX CPU's ever good for gaming? the only people that thought they were were living in the AMD fanboi bubble
Actually the FX CPUs have held up very well with new titles taking advantage of 4+ cores. I'm able to take full advantage of dual GTX 770 4GB cards in SLI in games like GTA V and Apex Legends. For productivity an day to day work the FX series is just as good as a Sandy Bridge i7 if not closer to an Ivy Bridge i7.

Reactions: ITGateKeeper
Jul 4, 2019
when were FX CPU's ever good for gaming? the only people that thought they were were living in the AMD fanboi bubble

man I did not say FX-8350 very good or Excellent, I only said is good enouph to run Assassin’s Creed Odyssey in high settings if you saw the benchmark approve my words, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey not low budget game, this is AAA title game, I hope my answer is clean, and I am not living in AMD bubble, I am saying what I see is right

Best Regards,

sure AMD FX-8320E better in power consumption, and it will be better if you get it with better price, but this CPU FX-8350 come with LED wrath cooler which is much better than standard stock cooler, the electricity in my country is cheap,
but as you said, if you get FX-8320E or FX-8370E it will be better in some cases
Yes Mayby i will put it to another NAS or something. But not for VM for sure. IPC of those FX line was terrible. Which is also the reason why they ruined the whole gaming thing I guess.

man I did not say FX-8350 very good or Excellent, I only said is good enouph to run Assassin’s Creed Odyssey in high settings if you saw the benchmark approve my words, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey not low budget game, this is AAA title game, I hope my answer is clean, and I am not living in AMD bubble, I am saying what I see is right

Best Regards,

i apologize if you took that as i was trying to call you some kind of fanboy that wasn't my intent. it was mearly a comment on how few people believed they were

Jul 4, 2019
Actually the FX CPUs have held up very well with new titles taking advantage of 4+ cores. I'm able to take full advantage of dual GTX 770 4GB cards in SLI in games like GTA V and Apex Legends. For productivity an day to day work the FX series is just as good as a Sandy Bridge i7 if not closer to an Ivy Bridge i7.

Yep as I said, the only complain for me regarding FX-8350 is temperature Maximum limit 70 C, is to law compare the other, and it required good cooler especially if you want to overclock it, good for your, and with Ryzen price drop it will be good to upgrade soon

Jul 4, 2019
I have a FX 8150 and I wouldn't try to play the current titles. My Graphics card is actually being held back by my CPU, it's so old and slow.

Yes it depend on your settings and resolution that you intend to play, for example you cannot Assassin’s Creed Odyssey on ultra setting even FHD, not 2K or 4K, but most of people will be more than happy to play it in high setting FHD 40 FPS

In general,
FX8xxx is very slow and very power hungry for today's standards.
There is no big issues in term of core count but extremely big issue on the single thread department for some new AAA games, especially if you have over 100fps as goal.

However...it is not as easy to explain...
Games are made differently, some more GPU dependent, some more cpu dependent, some gain benefit from more cores/threads, some from faster cores/threads, etc.
Some new AAA games are really processor intensive and can gain benefit of both faster and more cores/threads.
There is also more to the topic, e.g. if you are planning to game at 60fps or over 100fps. The higher the fps goes, the more strain it put to the processor, assuming that the GPU still play along.
"assuming that the GPU can still play along" --> this is where resolution and graphic effect settings play a big role too.

I am even still using my E3-1231V3 (I7 4770 without the iGPU) for gaming. This still does the trick, I am relying on GSync to smoothen up games a bit for lower FPS. I am holding back on big upgrade until I know what it takes to run Cyberpunk 2077 final release properly.

Reactions: ITGateKeeper

Sinking $140 more into a DDR3 rig performing (on a good day) at about ~50% of frame rates of even 3-4 year old Intel CPUs running 1 GHz less clock speed seems....questionable..at best....

Sell the DDR3, and save for Ryzen 3600 and a known compatible B450 mainboard (after the reviews hit in 3 days) and 16 GB of DDR4

Even less expensive option are the B350 boards and one of thete $79-$99 R5-1600s out there...; can probably get a CPU and mainboard for $140-$150...

Last edited: