[SOLVED] Is G Sync compatible Monitor as good as G Sync Monitor?

Jun 25, 2020
So I have an Nvidia RTX 2060 and ASUS VG278q Freesync monitor that is compatible with G-Sync and I want to switch to an actual G-Sync monitor like ASUS 24.5" ROG SWIFT PG258Q
My question is,is there any difference between G-Sync compatible monitor and G-Sync monitor is the input lag lower on the actuall G-Sync monitor? Will I see any diference?
Thanks in advance

Solution
Well thanks again for yout generous answers lol
But I have found the answer to my question.Is there any difference yes big one the input lag on the actual gsync monitor is significantly smaller and also the actual g sync monitor supports gsync ranges from 0 to its maximum refresh rate while on the compatible g sync monitor the gsync range is from 40 to its max refresh rate that means you need to have above 40 fps in game for gsync to kick in on the compatible gsync monitor that sucks what if I can reach just 30 fps.So actuall gsync monitor with installed gsync technology is better than the compatible one,so don't hesitate to buy gsync monitor instead of cheap freesync monitor that supports gsync.The gsync monitor worths the extra money...
Jun 25, 2020
But I have found the answer to my question.Is there any difference yes big one the input lag on the actual gsync monitor is significantly smaller and also the actual g sync monitor supports gsync ranges from 0 to its maximum refresh rate while on the compatible g sync monitor the gsync range is from 40 to its max refresh rate that means you need to have above 40 fps in game for gsync to kick in on the compatible gsync monitor that sucks what if I can reach just 30 fps.So actuall gsync monitor with installed gsync technology is better than the compatible one,so don't hesitate to buy gsync monitor instead of cheap freesync monitor that supports gsync.The gsync monitor worths the extra money,
Case close

Last edited:
Solution

BlueCat57

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I am surprised you didn't get any answers.

I've done a bit of research on G-sync vs Freesync vs G-sync compatible.

I already closed the tabs, but one of them said something like: It isn't worth the extra money for a "real" G-sync monitor until you get to over 60 fps.

Other comments make me believe that G-sync will go the way of Beta videotapes.

Note also that both G-sync and Freesync have MULTIPLE levels now.

Add to that the Nvidia is making GTX 10 and newer cards "compatible" with Freesync and you may want to save that extra money and buy an RTX or newer card.

Just my impressions.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
A G-Sync Compatible monitor is BETTER than a regular G-Sync monitor.

1. It is less expensive than a G-Sync monitor.
  2. It has FreeSync, and will thus work with the adaptive sync functionality of AMD cards.
  3. It will work with the adaptive sync functionality of Nvidia cards that are 10-series and later.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
But I have found the answer to my question.Is there any difference yes big one the input lag on the actual gsync monitor is significantly smaller and also the actual g sync monitor supports gsync ranges from 0 to its maximum refresh rate while on the compatible g sync monitor the gsync range is from 40 to its max refresh rate that means you need to have above 40 fps in game for gsync to kick in on the compatible gsync monitor that sucks what if I can reach just 30 fps.So actuall gsync monitor with installed gsync technology is better than the compatible one,so don't hesitate to buy gsync monitor instead of cheap freesync monitor that supports gsync.The gsync monitor worths the extra money,
Case close

This is incorrect.

Your Asus VG278Q has a FreeSync Range of 40 to 144. What you are neglecting is that it also has LFC (Low Framerate Compensation). Therefore the effective FreeSync minimum is half of the lowest number, so the effective range is actually 20-144.

The way this works is that, if your framerate drops below 40 fps, for example, say it drops to 30 fps like you suggested, the system will do the following:
  • It will set the refresh to 2x the FPS, so 60Hz.
  • It will display the same frame twice.
So, LFC does the work from frame rates of 20-39, and 40-144 will just be normal FreeSync functionality. You will not see any behavior that is different.

If you go with the PG258Q, you are paying a LOT of extra money for a SMALLER monitor so that you can maintain smoothness just in case your frame rates happen to dip below 20 fps? Why would you buy a 240Hz capable monitor in the first place if you're worried about going below 40fps?

No, the PG258Q in this case is a waste of money.

As for the supposedly greater input lag, I doubt that whoever said that can back this with any kind of proof.

Reactions: John Chesterfield