[SOLVED] Is Gamer Storm DQ-850M 80+ Gold good?

Solution
Did you ? I don't recall any reports of RTX3080 shutdowns with Bitfenix Whisper, i'm sure Deepcool DQ-M will be fine too.

My question about Aris was rhetorical. I know he doesn't have a card. He ordered one on launch day. Pre-paid. ETA is December. So sad.

But yes. The numbers have started trickling in a couple weeks ago as more people are actually able to get their hands on cards. Of course, a lot depends on all of the other parts the user is using, and I've had different boards act differently (which makes me think it's an issue with slot power delivery).

I can't say that I've tried OP's exact configuration, but I can say that I'm quite surprised how many 850W PSUs are not working.

For Corsair, for example, I can...

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
For a 3080? No.
Why not ? It's should be pretty much stock CWT GPU, just as Bitfenix Whisper if OP is indeed asking about DQ-M, not DQ-M-V2L.
Aris reviewed one :
Bitfenix Whisper for comparison :
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/bitfenix-bwg850m/4.html
do u have any psu recommendation? not planning to spend over $200 for a psu
Care to tell us where you are from ?

Last edited:

NaufalR9708

Prominent
Mar 29, 2020
Did you ? I don't recall any reports of RTX3080 shutdowns with Bitfenix Whisper, i'm sure Deepcool DQ-M will be fine too.

My question about Aris was rhetorical. I know he doesn't have a card. He ordered one on launch day. Pre-paid. ETA is December. So sad.

But yes. The numbers have started trickling in a couple weeks ago as more people are actually able to get their hands on cards. Of course, a lot depends on all of the other parts the user is using, and I've had different boards act differently (which makes me think it's an issue with slot power delivery).

I can't say that I've tried OP's exact configuration, but I can say that I'm quite surprised how many 850W PSUs are not working.

For Corsair, for example, I can tell you that TX850M and AX850 Ti don't work. But oddly enough, RM/HX 850 does. I'd love to get to the absolute bottom as to the "why", but I can't get a card either. I've been supplying power supplies to the lab at Nvidia for testing and they've provided me with synthetic tests that I can perform on the Chroma. But Nvidia can't do the proper root cause analysis (more of just a "this works.. this doesn't" and I can't until I get a card.

I've had scalpers offer me cards at inflated prices, with the smug attitude that THEY are doing ME a favor. I just unfriend them from Facebook and block their asses. :D

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
For Corsair, for example, I can tell you that TX850M and AX850 Ti don't work. But oddly enough, RM/HX 850 does. I'd love to get to the absolute bottom as to the "why", but I can't get a card either. I've been supplying power supplies to the lab at Nvidia for testing and they've provided me with synthetic tests that I can perform on the Chroma.
Thanks, this is valuable information. Well it's not surprising about AX Titanium, it's pretty much pre-fix PRIME isn't it, If they even made any modifications to OCP sensitivity on Prime platform. And Prime Titanium showed issues with RTX3080 too. Are these reports you're talking about recent, i.e after nVidia's driver update or not ? Was it FE or some OC'd stuff with raised power limiter ?
I've had scalpers offer me cards at inflated prices, with the smug attitude that THEY are doing ME a favor. I just unfriend them from Facebook and block their asses. :D
I'm eager to test my RM750x 2018 with it too but no luck yet, it seems we're going to play with paper planes until January at least ...

Thanks, this is valuable information. Well it's not surprising about AX Titanium, it's pretty much pre-fix PRIME isn't it, If they even made any modifications to OCP sensitivity on Prime platform. And Prime Titanium showed issues with RTX3080 too. Are these reports you're talking about recent, i.e after nVidia's driver update or not ? Was it FE or some OC'd stuff with raised power limiter ?

I'm not convinced it's OCP because if the motherboard has additional power fed to the PCIe slot via a 6-pin PCIe power connector (e.g. Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme or Gigabyte Z490 Vision G) these PSUs work perfectly fine.

Is TXm not the same platform, except costed up?

Common misconception. It's the same PCB and primary side switchers and supervisor IC. But 95% of the components inside are different.

TX has two bridge rectifiers, different brand APFC MOSFETs and boost diode, different LLC controller, different SR MOSFETs, different +5VSB MOSFET......

Last edited:
Reactions: Elisis

Elisis

Commendable
Nov 14, 2019
Common misconception. It's the same PCB and primary side switchers and supervisor IC. But 95% of the components inside are different.

TX has two bridge rectifiers, different brand APFC MOSFETs and boost diode, different LLC controller, different SR MOSFETs, different +5VSB MOSFET......
Ah, good to know. Thanks.