[SOLVED] Is Gen 4 SSD worth on MSI B550 Tomahawk?

Star2222

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Hi,
I am thinking to install 2 x M.2 SSDs on a MAG B550 Tomahawk.

1) On the second (slower) M.2 I am installing a gen 3 SSD. Can I install a Gen 4 on the "main/primary" M.2 and get the full 7000MB/s or at least close to it? i.e. is it worth it?
More specifically this is the one I am looking at: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08KFS6THF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

2) in the MAG B550 Tomahawk the Gen 3 currently installed which I want to move to the second (slower) M.2, contrary to the "main" M.2 is as long as the heatsink so the screw holding down the SSD has to also hold down the heatsink. How do you do in these cases? Do you buy a separate heatsink (maybe with a double sided adhesive)?
Or do you buy a longer screw and use the heatsink that comes with the MAG B550 Tomahawk?

3) once I install 2 x SSDs on that specific motherboard, reading the table in the user manual I am not clear which PCI or Sata ports are NOT going to be available. Can somebody help?

Thank you :)

Last edited:

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
I don't think a human user would notice the difference. In 5 or 10 years time though, we will all be saying ... geesh those old PCIE3 x 4 SSDs are slow, what a piece of junk!!! :unsure:

{GoofyOne's 2 c worth .. which may or may not be actually worth 2c}

Star2222

Prominent
May 4, 2021
Thank you both :)

Does anybody know the answer to the third question, i.e. which SATA is not going to be available after installing 2 SDDs on both M.2 slots?

Thank you as always! :)