Is getting Dx 11.1 video card worth it

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
I have win 8 (yes I like it fine) and I'll be buying a new card in about a week (either HD 7870,660 Ti or HD 7950). Leaning towards the 7950 right now.

Is finding one that supports Dx 11.1 worth the effort/cost?

Feel free to recommend a card with one of those there chipsets as well.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
For the sake of 11.1, not at the moment since there's no software that uses it yet. However, the cards that support it also happen to be the newest and most advanced (i.e., the Radeon HD 7000 or GeForce 600 series). Dx11.1 support won't matter in itself for some time but if you're looking for the best new cards it'll be the same cards that will support it.
For the sake of 11.1, not at the moment since there's no software that uses it yet. However, the cards that support it also happen to be the newest and most advanced (i.e., the Radeon HD 7000 or GeForce 600 series). Dx11.1 support won't matter in itself for some time but if you're looking for the best new cards it'll be the same cards that will support it.

Solution

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012

Ah ok, I've only found a few that actually list it as supported on Newegg so I didn't know that.

I'm leaning towards the GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD on sales for $299 but I just can't decide if want to spend that much with a new gen of cards coming out in about 3 4 months. Especially when the HD 7870 and GTX 660 Ti seem good enough for as much as $80 less. Just don't know which way to go.....

Edit: all this talk of frame latency vs FPS is throwing monkey wrench in the works as well for my decision making....

Any advise?

That was the other HD7950 I was considering. Only bought the Sapphire Vapor X because it was on special (15% off). You can always keep waiting for next gen... in a few months AMD comes out with the first cards in the 8000 line, then naturally a few months later nvidia will come out with a handful of the 700 series and they are reported to be faster than the AMD offerings, and then there are rumours of new models in AMDs 8000 series that might be better value if you just wait a few more months, and then 760Ti is rumoured to come out a few months after that which is rumoured to be faster than the AMD card for the same price, and then the 9000 series is only a few months away at that point which will be 20% faster for the same price, how will nvidia respond with the 800 series - just wait a few more months... see where I'm going? You end up NEVER buying a new card!

10hellfire01

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
It's worth it, increased power always is :D But if you're buying a card solely for the use of being able to play DirectX 11.1 games when they release, it's not worth it in my opinion. The only thing that I recall being of any use to gamers is the integration of stereoscopic 3D on the API level. Performance optimizations probably won't be all that much better than with DX11. That is, unless I missed a big new improvement listed in its features.