[SOLVED] Is getting new graphics card worth it?

May 30, 2020
Hi i have phenom II x4 965 BE, with 8gb ram 1600mhz, and i was planning to get rx 470, so my question is is it worth it or no cuz the procesor is a little bottleneck but i was not planing to play all the newest games on high details, i was planning to play like on medium settings on resoulution 1360x768 so can this built play gta 5 and shadow of the tomb raider on medium settings on 1360x768 resolution or not?

Solution
Get the most powerful card, your budget can handle, but keep in mind that power supply will also play a factor. It needs to be a quality unit, with sufficient wattage, for whatever card you get. You can reuse the card, in a newer build, later on.
GTA5 is still a very CPU- demanding game even today. It still gets included in CPU gaming benchmarks.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is also a very demanding game (and is only 1.5 years old)

That being said, I think the RX470 can work with your CPU.

logainofhades

Titan
Get the most powerful card, your budget can handle, but keep in mind that power supply will also play a factor. It needs to be a quality unit, with sufficient wattage, for whatever card you get. You can reuse the card, in a newer build, later on.

Solution
I googled LC power and the very first response was. "No. LC-Power is traditionally a cheapo brand, and most of their PSUs just suck. Big time. " It goes on to say that they are better than they used to be but still meh. I would look elsewhere for a PSU. I wouldn't want a MEH component as critical as the power supply. Always remember that a good PSU, while pricey, will usually outlast the rest of your system.

This is good advice considering that the OPs CPU/mobo/RAM is really in the "needs replacement soon" category. Depending on cash flow, that upgrade could be immediate or within the next year or so. Therefore, buying "too much GPU" now (within reason) isn't really a wasted investment, and certainly the PSU purchase will carry over to a new build without issue.