[SOLVED] Is Gigabyte A320M-S2H V2 motherboard's onboard audio enough to power ATH-M20x headphones?

thetechissue

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018
First, sorry for my english!
I want to buy a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x, but I don't know if my motherboard's audio is enough for them. I currently have the Superlux HD669 and they are loud enough, but I don't like the way they sound and how they fit on my head. I don't want to change my soundcard or to buy an amplifier, so I want to know if the headphones will sound at least decent.
Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Personally the difference in high end boards and sound cards on said boards when compared to cheaper end units are the amount of electrical components that go int them to clean up and boost a signal. For the board you've stated, I'd say the sound card is crippled. You should look at a dedicated sound card, IMHO, or a better board with onboard sound implementation but our resident audiophile(@anort3 ) will definitely have something better to add.

Reactions: thetechissue

thetechissue

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018
You're fine with an M20X. They aren't hard to drive.
Thanks! How do you think is the bass on them? Deep bass is good on HD669, but the 'punchy' bass, at around 60-100 hz is a bit unpresent. When I try to eq it, is getting distorted. Tried with Xonar DG and my phone too, same results. So do you think M20x will handle low frequencies better?

thetechissue

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018
Personally the difference in high end boards and sound cards on said boards when compared to cheaper end units are the amount of electrical components that go int them to clean up and boost a signal. For the board you've stated, I'd say the sound card is crippled. You should look at a dedicated sound card, IMHO, or a better board with onboard sound implementation but our resident audiophile(@anort3 ) will definitely have something better to add.
I don't get any weird noise, I'm only concerned about the amplification. The onboard audio on this Gigabyte sounds the same as Xonar DG, but the Asus card has a headphone amp, wich makes it louder.

D

Deleted member 217926

I've never heard either one of those headphones but I don't believe the M20X is particularly bassy despite being advertised as such. They're fairly neutral I believe.

The Creative Aurvana Live ( CAL ) is a solid choice if you want bass for under $100. At $150 check out the Philips Fidelio X2 HR.

thetechissue

Reputable
Feb 24, 2018
I
I've never heard either one of those headphones but I don't believe the M20X is particularly bassy despite being advertised as such. They're fairly neutral I believe.

The Creative Aurvana Live ( CAL ) is a solid choice if you want bass for under $100. At $150 check out the Philips Fidelio X2 HR.
I don't really like on-ear headphones. Do you have other recommendation under 50$?

TRENDING THREADS