Is Gigabyte me in the backside?

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
So, I have sold my GTX 760 a few days ago for $290. A steal for them really as it was a EVGA 4Gb OC acx model.

I have been putting money away and have only got $350.

I saw an ad on Kijiji in my city for a R9 290 By Gigabyte, OC edition I believe. The seller has 3 of them. I asked if it was in a mining rig. He had bought 3 for a mining op but went with Asics instead and never even opened the 290s boxes.

He listed for $370 ea obo and we went back and forth negotiating to $350 for 1 of the cards.

My question is, Is this card good? I'm asking as I've read about heat issues still and something about bios flashing?!

Deep down, if its all legit and is boxed as new then I know its a good deal. I like asking on here for reassurances, great community in all. Also I will be grabbing it today (unless its bad) at 3pm Central.

Thanks guys.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125500&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I'd not get it. Note the poor reviews. Gigabyte seemed to really drop the ball with their R9 290's. Save your money and get the best R9 290 out there, the Saphhire Vapor-X R9 290.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202103

The best board out there, but a full $100 more dollars then your $350. There are other good R9 290's out there, read the reviews on new egg. Get a good one.

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

The Vapor X is $510 on the Canadian Newegg site.
Thats a fair chunk more.

Why are these Gigabytes getting bad reviews?
Its a mixed bag, people saying its great, others not.......Confusing as the reviews never mention its pitfalls either.

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Yeah give or take. CAD$ is about $90 difference on Newegg.ca.

Have you heard about any issues?

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Doesnt seem to be there.

I personally dont have experience with any of the 290s but looking at reviews the biggest complaints on that one seem to be about DOAs with poor RMA experiences or that the card is touchy when it comes to overclocking and heat. If you are going to buy it I would want to see it work first. Hopefully it really hasnt been used and does work properly.

If you want its your thread I have the option to unselect.

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for the selecting issue.

My problem is I hate waiting lol....If the box has been opened or looks like its been resealed and not the original wrapping then I'll just walk away.
The vapor x have just been released so i dont see how they have been voted the best ones yet.........
Well I have an hour before I go to meet them... Better make my mind up

andrei65

Reputable
Apr 14, 2014

Do not buy the card for the love of god , it isn't a good deal , just because of the poor cooling , bad customer service , locked voltage , fairly slower than other 290's and terribly bad reviews
Do not buy it , just ... PLEASE don't .

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
So, against my gut feeling I went for the Gigabyte.... I know i know, I hear you say "Why?''

But, I've had it running for a few hours on Wolfenstien- new order, and it runs great....

Checked temps 1hr in and they were at 55c.

Now, I am running a-
Pentium G3220 3.0Ghz
8gb Vengeance Ram
H87 mobo
600w ocz modxstream

Settings @ High

Obviously there's bottleneck going on with the cpu but im at steady 35-40fs, which is smooth.

Thanks for all your help guys.

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

So far, yes...

I have a new cpu coming soon. Either an i5 or a Xeon, so we'll see how that goes...Metro LL and a few others will be the true test.

Thanks Jameson

Fantastic! Looks like you got a good one. Enjoy.

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Thanks fella. I know it was a gamble and I could be crying right now and prob still can. The temps tho look pretty good and the fan is at 40%, I set it to that, and it's quiet. HAF EVO XB might help tho

JimmiGilbi

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

The guy had Two of them in his trunk. It felt shady but he showed me his N3W33G receipt for three that he bought.
I check them both, they looked mint. I went with the first one I checked.
It's blown me away and that's on a pentium g3220! Can't wait for the new CPU!

Thanks for all the advice