[SOLVED] Is gigabyte p650b dangerous for my build?

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
I read on many forums that gigabyte psu are horrible. They explode and they burn components in the pc, especially the p750b.
I have p650b 80+ bronze rated psu.
Will it burn or cause any problems to my components?
My rig -
Ryzen 3600
Msi B450m pro vdh max
Rtx 2060 from gigabyte
2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz thermaltek thoughram rgb
Kingston a2000 500gb ssd m.2 nvme
And I plan to buy another sata ssd.
I have No plans to overclock cpu or gpu.

Solution
So you mean no need to buy a new psu and I will be safe with my current p650b as my rig is not very power demanding?

I would hold onto it unless you can buy something significantly better like the txm.

There's a Russian review/strip down here which works well with Google translate to English language.

https://ru.gecid.com/power/gigabyte_p650b/?s=0

On a component quality level its good, on perfoemance its better than average.

I can't honestly see any thing wrong with it per se.

Sure there are hundreds of better quality psu's on the market but there are literally thousands that are likely worse.

Swapping it for something mediocre like a mwe v1 would be pointless, I would actually trust the gigabyte more.

I had...
I read on many forums that gigabyte psu are horrible. They explode and they burn components in the pc, especially the p750b.
I have p650b 80+ bronze rated psu.
Will it burn or cause any problems to my components?
My rig -
Ryzen 3600
Msi B450m pro vdh max
Rtx 2060 from gigabyte
2x8gb ddr4 3200mhz thermaltek thoughram rgb
Kingston a2000 500gb ssd m.2 nvme
And I plan to buy another sata ssd.
I have No plans to overclock cpu or gpu.
If you want peace-of-mind you could buy an actual good quality power supply, at a higher cost, and sell the Gigabyte. It would be better than risking your $900 system to an iffy power supply.

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
If you want peace-of-mind you could buy an actual good quality power supply, at a higher cost, and sell the Gigabyte. It would be better than risking your $900 system to an iffy power supply.
I am considering 2 options -
  1. Corsair TX-M 650w 80+ Gold (its costly and over my budget)
  2. CM MWE 650w 80+ bronze (fits in my budget)
is CM MWE reliable?

Corsair one costs more, and for a reason.
Corsair one is on the tier A of this list:

Reactions: vvstorm2
The p650b and p750b are strangely actually fairly decent quality.

I would not sweat it at all with those components you're running.

You have 300w or so spare there and that gigabyte model is hardly a death trap, it actually has decent build quality and components and is a modern dc-dc regulated platform.

I would say its as good or better quality than the coolermaster mwe you're considering replacing it with.

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
MWE V2 is quite reliable, but the V2 version. You seem to be referring to the non V2 version which I heard is not nicely built. But if you can get the TX-M get it.

You might be missing some great deals in your country. Do you have an local online store for reference?
I am looking it up on amazon india - and it says its v2
Cooler Master MWE 650 Bronze V2 230v, 80 Plus Bronze Certified, Non-Modular Power Supply – Black https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08H2J3G9K...abc_9TCCVR1RF2TME0BC1Y5X?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021
The p650b and p750b are strangely actually fairly decent quality.

I would not sweat it at all with those components you're running.

You have 300w or so spare there and that gigabyte model is hardly a death trap, it actually has decent build quality and components and is a modern dc-dc regulated platform.

I would say its as good or better quality than the coolermaster mwe you're considering replacing it with.
So you mean no need to buy a new psu and I will be safe with my current p650b as my rig is not very power demanding?

I would hold onto it unless you can buy something significantly better like the txm.

There's a Russian review/strip down here which works well with Google translate to English language.

Sure there are hundreds of better quality psu's on the market but there are literally thousands that are likely worse.

Swapping it for something mediocre like a mwe v1 would be pointless, I would actually trust the gigabyte more.

I had this conversation with Darkbreeze (the guy who created and maintains the psu thread) and we pretty much agreed that in certain markets and at certain budgets it looks to be a better choice than many comparably priced low to mid tier units.

That's not a recommendation to buy one but as you already have one that's not really the point here.

It's going to be under very little stress with your components, you should imo get years out of it with that kind of power draw .

Upgrade it if/when upgrades and power consumption demand it.

Solution

vvstorm2

Commendable
Feb 20, 2021

I had this conversation with Darkbreeze (the guy who created and maintains the psu thread) and we pretty much agreed that in certain markets and at certain budgets it looks to be a better choice than many comparably priced low to mid tier units.

That's not a recommendation to buy one but as you already have one that's not really the point here.

It's going to be under very little stress with your components, you should imo get years out of it with that kind of power draw .

Upgrade it if/when upgrades and power consumption demand it.
So the p650b is still in the return period. I can return it and will try to shell a few more bucks for the corsair tx650m one. As I don’t want to risk my components just because of a mediocre psu and regret it later.