[SOLVED] Is going from 1080 to 1440 night and day?

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
On the fence due to money and will I really need it with my 1070 GPU and Ryzen 2600

I am just getting into PC gaming, rarely will play competitive but I do need a monitor so what to do?

Things lingering that I need help with

1080, 1440, G-Sync???

I would LOVE to stay under $250 but $300 would not kill me.

My MAIN objective is to not have to buy another monitor for years down the road, maybe even 4k in 4,5 or 6 years

Solution
The thing about 1440p from 1080p is that the bigger monitor screen you get the bigger you're going to want your resolution. Monitor sizes of 27" or more you will need 1440p if you don't want the screen to possibly look a little blocky/blurry, as some people report, since the resolution will be too low for the density of pixels.

Anything under 27" you can get by with a 1080p no problem. I went from a 1080p 21" to a 1440p 32" and the quality does not look any different because the screen is big enough to accommodate the pixel density and resolution.

Anywho, you're gonna have difficulty finding a decent 1440p gaming monitor with g sync since g sync is a preimum cost. You can simply get freesync and it'll basically do the same thing even...
The thing about 1440p from 1080p is that the bigger monitor screen you get the bigger you're going to want your resolution. Monitor sizes of 27" or more you will need 1440p if you don't want the screen to possibly look a little blocky/blurry, as some people report, since the resolution will be too low for the density of pixels.

Anything under 27" you can get by with a 1080p no problem. I went from a 1080p 21" to a 1440p 32" and the quality does not look any different because the screen is big enough to accommodate the pixel density and resolution.

Anywho, you're gonna have difficulty finding a decent 1440p gaming monitor with g sync since g sync is a preimum cost. You can simply get freesync and it'll basically do the same thing even if you have a nvidia card. In fact some monitors are approved by nvidia to be gsync compatible even if it's a freesync based monitor.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...MQQqlIROmPa0EjFh-lI0HGJsU4ZKDpw4aAou8EALw_wcB

Here's one monitor that's within your price range. Though if you don't care about color quality, then you should also look for monitors that are TN panel based.

There are 3 types of panels to look at while you're getting a monitor:
IPS (Best color quality but the most expensive and harder to get high refresh rates)
VA (middle ground between IPS and TN, not as good as IPS in color and view angles but is able to achieve higher refresh rates and has a deeper contrast for blacks.)
TN (Has the worst color quality and viewing angles but is able to achieve the fastest refresh rates. Is also the cheapest panel types.)

Solution

geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
As an owner of both, 1080 and 1440p monitors I can tell you right now: get 1080p. The ratio between image quality and gpu performence is so high at 1440p. While I notice it a little bit in games, my gpu just completely freaks out (Rx 570, 160$ gpu). Yes it can handle 1440p in most games, but it's just too much for a small jump.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
1080, 1440, G-Sync???

Don't bother paying the premium for a G-Sync monitor. Sometime last year, Nvidia finally acknowledged reality, and added the ability for GSync to work with FreeSync monitors in their drivers. Probably because there was a driver hack around that someone had come up with (and Nvidia did NOT like) that allowed it.

So, you can get adaptive refresh rates with a GeForce 10-, 16-, or 20- series card, combined with a FreeSync monitor.

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015

Anywho, you're gonna have difficulty finding a decent 1440p gaming monitor with g sync since g sync is a preimum cost. You can simply get freesync and it'll basically do the same thing even if you have a nvidia card. In fact some monitors are approved by nvidia to be gsync compatible even if it's a freesync based monitor.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/609322/CQ27G1_27"_QHD_144Hz_HDMI_DP_FreeSync_Curved_LED_Gaming_Monitor?storeID=115&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnL7yBRD3ARIsAJp_oLYNlXSfH-U7VJDfsjwsCs8MQQqlIROmPa0EjFh-lI0HGJsU4ZKDpw4aAou8EALw_wcB

Here's one monitor that's within your price range. Though if you don't care about color quality, then you should also look for monitors that are TN panel based.

There are 3 types of panels to look at while you're getting a monitor:
IPS (Best color quality but the most expensive and harder to get high refresh rates)
VA (middle ground between IPS and TN, not as good as IPS in color and view angles but is able to achieve higher refresh rates and has a deeper contrast for blacks.)
TN (Has the worst color quality and viewing angles but is able to achieve the fastest refresh rates. Is also the cheapest panel types.)

Thanks

So this AOC has horrible color or just not as good as others?

Thanks

So this AOC has horrible color or just not as good as others?

It's a VA panel, the color is definitely not terrible the difference while watching videos or playing games compared to an IPS is very little, I can speak from experience I have both a VA main and IPS secondary. But it's not as good as an IPS panel type monitor in overall color fidelity. Which would only matter if you planned on doing photo editing work or any work that require near perfect color reproduction.

VA also has deep contrast ratios so you'll get immersive blacks for dark scenes, which I personally love since I enjoy horror games.

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
Are you going to upgrade the PC(GPU) within that time period? If so, you may want to go with a 1440p monitor. If not, no reason to.

Get a nice 1080p monitor with VRR.

Probably keep the 2600 for a few years. It’s new so I could return to Amazon and get something else if it’ll be a huge difference. I only paid $112 that’s why I grabbed it

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
It's a VA panel, the color is definitely not terrible the difference while watching videos or playing games compared to an IPS is very little, I can speak from experience I have both a VA main and IPS secondary. But it's not as good as an IPS panel type monitor in overall color fidelity. Which would only matter if you planned on doing photo editing work or any work that require near perfect color reproduction.

VA also has deep contrast ratios so you'll get immersive blacks for dark scenes, which I personally love since I enjoy horror games.

Amazon reviews look great might grab this. I usually had TV and other displays more dark than others do. I like deep colors vs bright

Amazon reviews look great might grab this. I usually had TV and other displays more dark than others do. I like deep colors vs bright

Here's a contrast difference of VA and IPS:
a-mvavss-ips2.jpg

VA left; IPS right

IPS has something called, 'blacklight bleed' so it causes dark scenes to have bight spots become noticeable which is due to the, yep you guessed it, the backlight.

Reactions: Pimpom

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have two closely related 27-inch BenQ monitors - GW2780 (IPS) and EW2775ZH (VA). As already mentioned, IPS panels are supposed to produce better image quality, but I definitely prefer my VA model even though I view photos a lot and occasionally dabble in editing them. The so-called IPS glow prevents me from seeing the full contrast range and that bothers me more than a slightly poorer colour fidelity.

Reactions: Newtonius
I have two closely related 27-inch BenQ monitors - GW2780 (IPS) and EW2775ZH (VA). As already mentioned, IPS panels are supposed to produce better image quality, but I definitely prefer my VA model even though I view photos a lot and occasionally dabble in editing them. The so-called IPS glow prevents me from seeing the full contrast range and that bothers me more than a slightly poorer colour fidelity.

Yea, my main is VA (32") and I prefer Photoshopping and video editing on that. The color difference is hardly noticeable for an intermediate editor.

In fact here's my example I took for my amazon review of it:
71LCsN9AC5L.jpg

I'll let you guess which one is the VA

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
My new build has a Ryzen 3600 and 2070 Super, last thing to round it out is a 27" 1440 monitor, so excited!

Well only have a bout $300 or a tad more left. Goal was under 300 for monitor but you never know....

Wanted this one

AOC G1 27"

....but hearing this one might be coming to the USA soon

AOC G2 27"

Or something else you PROS may recommend