[SOLVED] Is going from an i5 3570k to the ryzen 5 2600 worth it?

Mar 23, 2019
I have a i5 3570k in my pc now with a gtx1080 founders edition gpu and 12gb ddr3. I play cod blackout mostly and my fps jumps down a bit from time to time. Would this upgrade be useful?

Solution
Your motherboard is capable of overclocking.
Have you overclocked your I5-3570K?

If not, try a small overclock and see how much that helps.
How well you can do will depend on your chip.
But, I think 15% or better is available to you.
Your base clock is similar to the ryzen 2600 so any advantage from ryzen will come from games that can effectively use more than 4 threads.
The operative work is EFFECTIVELY.
Task manager always shows activity on all threads, but that is just windows spreading out the activity on all available threads.
Here is an older analysis:
If game developers require 6 or mote...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. Currently you are happy having money in your pocket and a pc that's satisfactory. Technically the higher IPC and increased threads will allow that gpu to really open up and stick the fps over the top of your 60Hz? monitor under better detailing. So the question is, is that empty wallet and better game play going to make you happier than you currently are.

The i5 is 4c/4t, so is going to struggle in many newer games that are optimized for higher threads and run better on higher IPC. The 2600 is 6c/12t, night and day difference in abilities beyond just that one game. But you'll need a motherboard, cpu, ram so looking at upwards of @ $450ish to start, and if really wanting to push some quieter OC then add a decent cooler. The i5 3570k is also getting close to end-of-life, boards are expensive to replace due to lack of availability, a decent Z77 mobo on ebay is going for 2x the price of a decent new B450. The only bad part is 16Gb of DDR4-3200 ram is more expensive than similar DDR3, so you'd be looking at probably selling off and parting out your old system. Whether you move up to better, faster, longer lasting and larger storage with m.2 ssd is up to you.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You can't just drop in a Ryzen processor on your current board. That being said, what are you upgrades going to be and what does that leave you with your final system's specs? List your current specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

and include the upgrades for the system.

Mar 23, 2019
Yes I know the i5 3570k is pretty old. Thats another reason I want to upgrade . I just wanted to know if the performance increase I would get would be substantial.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($69.85 @ OutletPC)
Total: $443.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-23 12:19 EDT-0400

Cpu cooler is a personal choice, the stock cooler is good enough, if wanting to push some decent OC, I'd go with a beQuiet Darkrock 4/pro or similar, depending on how much clearance your case actually has.

And yes, it should show a substantial increase in ability, exactly how much is entirely dependent on the game and your settings.

Your motherboard is capable of overclocking.
Have you overclocked your I5-3570K?

If not, try a small overclock and see how much that helps.
How well you can do will depend on your chip.
But, I think 15% or better is available to you.
Your base clock is similar to the ryzen 2600 so any advantage from ryzen will come from games that can effectively use more than 4 threads.
The operative work is EFFECTIVELY.
Task manager always shows activity on all threads, but that is just windows spreading out the activity on all available threads.
Here is an older analysis:
If game developers require 6 or mote cores to run decently, they will not sell as many games.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No OC on those Intel mobo's worth anything, be lucky to get 4.1-4.2. Intels run a safety gizmo that kills OC if it decides the current is too high. And it's not changeable. So you get stuck trying to get the highest multiplier at the lowest voltage and minimal current which ends up at 4.0-4.2GHz and just over 1.2v

Nothing runs on single threads anymore, most games are at least 3-4 threads and any online multi-player game like fortnite or WoW is going to run more.
And no, the i5-3570k does not have single thread performance better than an R5 2600, in fact it's pretty much the exact same IPC. So considering the differences:
I5 - 4 thread, ddr3, low multi-core performance, max speed 3.8GHz, EOL dead tech, replacements on ebay, good luck there.
R5 - 6/12 thread, ddr4, high multi-core performance, max speed 4.0GH+, upgradable, replacements new with factory/vendor warranty

Still can't figure how its a bad deal and keeping 7 year old tech is a better decision. Single core performance doesn't mean much anymore and should not be a basis on which to decide outcomes. It's not gospel and is only to be used to compare cpus, not as a criteria.

Last edited:

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
@Grizz301 have You overclocked Your CPU yet?

You can always squeeze some juice of Your old CPU if You OC it, so it could match GTX 1080 better...

As for upgrade (if You really have to):
new Ryzen gen is coming out this year. That meanse faster CPU's at the same price or cheaper 2nd gen Ryzens. It's not the best time to upgrade. Wait few months. You are still okay on what You have.