[SOLVED] Is GPU a possible cause of artifacting?

Trickle2x2

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
So I have a 3060ti in my rig and have been playing black ops Cold War. The other night I noticed in the beginning of a new round on express playing hard core search and destroy there was a all blacked out oddly shaped texture on the floor. It lasted for about a second or two before quickly loading in the texture for the floor. I wish I had clipped it but it was probably about an inch wide to half and inch tall so not that big and oddly shaped. Do you guys think this could be an early sign of gpu failure or just the new call of duty being buggy?

Solution
Only if it repeats should you be concerned. Computers aren't perfect it could have just been an error in software, or an incorrectly loaded texture in the GPU memory. Should have ECC memory on the 3060Ti, so I am surprised it would persist for more than a frame, that points towards the game.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only if it repeats should you be concerned. Computers aren't perfect it could have just been an error in software, or an incorrectly loaded texture in the GPU memory. Should have ECC memory on the 3060Ti, so I am surprised it would persist for more than a frame, that points towards the game.

Solution

Trickle2x2

Prominent
Dec 28, 2020
Yeah the only other instance I’ve noticed is when playing warzone textures are blocking when zooming in with a sniper in one area of the map until they load in, taking about half a second but I figured that was a game issue also. I’ve ran the heaven bench mark on the card and didn’t notice any issues on that but I heard it’s not the best method to check for artifacting. I’ll keep an eye out if it starts happening more, thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Textures not loading in fast enough can be a sign of not enough system memory/gpu memory or a slow storage device. So if your settings are filling up the GPU, and it has to retrieve data, might take a few frames to do so.

If you are running anything with DLSS be warned that can create ghosting and other weird artifacts. Basically runs some stuff at a lower resolution and guesses what it would like at the higher resolution.

Reactions: Trickle2x2