Question Is GPU leaking? Something black and sticky on the outside of GPU. Picture attatched.

Dairok

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks for for the answer.
I'm not really that good with takling apart stuff, I can only install things like ram, gpu and CPU.
It would surprise me a lot if there somehow got spilled something into the pc.
No one is around it but me, and I don't place things on top of the case.
Is there a way to identify a leaking capacitor except opening the GPU?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Agreed, clean it and see if it comes back.

As long as the card is working, it doesn't matter all that much. Not having a filter cap somewhere might shorten the lifespan of some power component, but a lot of things are done in parallel in GPUs, so the workload will just switch to something down line or the load is less shared. (Being purposely generic here since we don't know if there is a faulty component or what it does)

Dairok

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013
Thanks, I'll try to clean it. Some tissues with a little rubbing alcohol right?
Also I spent the last hour trying to search the Web for answers. A lot of people say that it's something from the thermal pads that leak through the backplate and that it's a "kinda" common issue. I'm not sure if I should contact the shop I purchased the card from, with the intention of an RMA though.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That is a possibility. Some thermal pads are a little greasy.

Typically, RMA refers to the manufacturer. Sending it back to the seller is usually something you can do only for a short period after purchase. The chances of them having a replacement GTX1080 are practically zero at this point.

Gigabyte on the other hand can either repair or replace it with a refurbished GPU or a new GPU depending on stock.

TRENDING THREADS