Question Is Graphics Card Salvagable?

Oct 18, 2021
Trying to figure out if there is any way to salvage by graphics card before I go through the process of buying a new one.

I was browsing the internet when my fan sped up and then both displays went black.
I did a bunch of trouble shooting and nothing has seemed to work so I've switched my displays over to my motherboard for now.
The fan on the card spins up it just doesn't display anything.
This is not a new build, and everything has been working fine prior to this for months now. No small graphics issues or stuttering to warn me.

Below are my specs and the things I've tried so far and done while troubleshooting.
Is there anything else I can try before sinking money into a new card? Want to make sure I haven't missed something simple.

Specs:
CPU: i7-7700K 4.20GHZ 8MB
GRAPHICS: GeForce® GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z270 GAMING PLUS ATX w/ USB 3.1, 2 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 6 SATA3, 1 M.2 SATA/PCIe
PSU: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RAM: 48GB (8GBx2) (16GBx2)DDR4/3000MHz

Troubleshooting Already Done:
Power cycled computer
Checked both displays and cables with another device, both work fine.
Checked power supply connection to graphics card.
Removed and placed card back in slot
Swapped card to second slot
Removed and reset all RAM
Reapplied thermal paste (fan sped up before display cut out, figure might be a temp issue somewhere)
Reset CMOS

Oct 18, 2021
brand and model of the psu?
is this from a cybper power prebuild? try replacing the psu

The original was a cyber power prebuild but most everything has been swapped besides the motherboard, psu and graphics card.
Unfortunately what's in the specs on my original post is all the info I have from old orders, and there's identifying information that I can find.
I removed the unit from the case to check but there's no model numbers or anything on it. Just the year it was made (2017) and some electrical information.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
brand and model of the psu?
is this from a cybper power prebuild? try replacing the psu
Found a good deal and upgraded my PSU to an 850W unit. Still have the same issue, everything works and I get display from my motherboard, but none from the graphics card.
Either way it's probably best I upgrade the PSU, since it looks like I'll be going to a Microcenter for a graphics card upgrade this weekend.
Thanks for your suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS