Question Is Gsync working?

Alex1984a

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Hi, I just purchased a Acer Predator XB241h with g-sync.

It was a "future oriented" purchase, as I have a very old videocard (GTX 660, supports g-sync) but I had hoped I could at least enjoy G-sync a bit.
However it seems that enabling any game with G-sync WITHOUT V-sync only makes really makes games extremely teared and stuttering, while they work perfectly with BOTH v-sync and g-sync enabled.

The card can barely make 60 fps on HD resolution in-game and the monitor is 144 hz.
I monitored the fps while this unpleasant effects happen and I noticed that the fps are still around 60, bit they appear much lower.

Now...what is happening?
Is g-sync actually working or is the monitor broken? I really have no idea on how to test it as I only have the nvidia indicator as proof that it is on.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You have quite a few things you need to look at.

Are you using Display Port?
Have you installed the monitor's driver?
Is the monitor set to run at 144hz in Windows?
In-game settings set to 144hz?

V-sync on with G-sync on should have the following effect. G-sync operable from 36FPS to 144FPS, Below 36FPS G-sync will double up the frames and the refresh rate. The frame rate will not exceed 144FPS.

V-sync off with G-sync on will be the same as above, except that when it can exceed 144FPS it will, with no syncing at all.

Both off and it will act as a normal monitor with tearing.

There are some new options I haven't messed with, further reading here: https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/2/

GTX660 is supported. Though you might want to consider a vBIOS flash and a driver re-install if you keep having issues. Basically one up from the bottom of G-sync capable graphics cards. If it is an older card, it might not get along too well with the later G-sync 2.0 module.

Alex1984a

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Thanks for your help Eximo.

Apparently the issue was that windows had kept the 60 hz refresh rate.
It was silly of me to think that everything would have been plug and play.
Anyway, now I got proof tht g-sync kicks in, I can play older games at 144 fps withouth v-sync and it is butter smooth!

Alex1984a

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Anyway, I got another weird issue:

The monitor is connected to a multiple power switch along with printer, lamp, speakers and a land-line cordless phone.

I usually turn the power off for the night to save power.
When I turn it back on in the morning the monitor powers up by itself and goes in stand-by.

Is this behavior normal? My old monitor still needed you to press the button to turn on.

G-Sync only works when your framerate is lower than your monitor's maximum refresh rate. If your framerate is higher, then G-Sync will turn off. At this point, if you have V-Sync on, then the system will switch to V-Sync. If you have V-Sync off, then G-Sync will be replaced by nothing, and you will get tearing.

If your framerate is lower than your monitor's maximum refresh rate, and G-Sync is on, and you are still getting tearing, then G-Sync is not operating properly.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Anyway, I got another weird issue:

The monitor is connected to a multiple power switch along with printer, lamp, speakers and a land-line cordless phone.

I usually turn the power off for the night to save power.
When I turn it back on in the morning the monitor powers up by itself and goes in stand-by.

Is this behavior normal? My old monitor still needed you to press the button to turn on.

Do you turn off the monitor before doing this? Many standby systems remember last power state and will resume as if there was a power failure.

If not, it might just be the way they setup that monitor.

Alex1984a

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2014
Do you turn off the monitor before doing this? Many standby systems remember last power state and will resume as if there was a power failure.

If not, it might just be the way they setup that monitor.

Yes, I did turn the monitor off with his own button before turning off the power.