Question is gtx 1070 dead or is psu half dead?

Aug 29, 2020
hello community,
i was working recently playing games with gtx 1070 and enermax psu 650w, and monitor suddenly went black and since then i could not turn the motherboard on with the gpu installed! and i have to completely unplug the gpu from psu and motherboard for system to work, so my question is, is my gpu dead or is my psu half dead? and after that i opened up my psu and there was a lot of dust in it that accumulated for more than 6 years and then tried again but of no avail... so tell me first how to test if my psu is working incorrectly? and i tried the whole thing with another motherboard i had from past and it went the same route again and without gpu only the whole system turned on and worked. so is gpu dead? or is it psu? i dont have unfortunately any other psu right now, so please tell me a way in which it is easier to test with current equipment
config; gtx 1070 ichill ino3d
core i3 10100
asus h410mk
enermax 650 w,
4 hdd
2 fans

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Enermax make a number of PSU's, which model of Enermax's PSU do you have? Also include the age of the unit. I think your PSU might be unable to handle the power needed by the entire system. You could try and test the GPU on a donor system and see if the card works there. I'd also try and use DDU to remove all traces of Nvidia's drivers from your platform while on the iGPU.

Reactions: Farshadhimbo
Aug 29, 2020
Psu model is enermax enp650awt b, 80 plus bronze , i think i used it since 2013, and havent used it fo 1 years since then, so if u mean by the age of the unit, only the psu, it is about 6 years. unfortunately there is not a donor system to be found easily but i'll look up to it and about ddu, should i remove the driver from my primary ssd? no need for graphics card to be installed at the same time? what is meant by platform?
by igpu it is meant that system using both integrated and external graphics card? should i turn that on or off?
and on other thing, i had updated my gpu driver to 456 version while had updated gefore experience to the last version if i remember correctly, or was login and connected to it, the version which is compatible with the newest driver, could that be the case that by connecting to geforce experience i made gpu go wild? because 2 days after doing it, it happened.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2020
Ok, the problem was with the psu cable connected to a wall outlet that several other peripherals connected to it and that had made the system not draw enough power am I right? So I tried only the system and monitor connected to power outlet and system turned on perfectly with gpu and psu. But this time around, first the problem was that a smoke had risen from the motherboard and pci-e slot which the gpu connected to it which smelled like powder, so I turned the system off immediately and waited for everything to cool off for some hours then tried again and checked everything to be orderly because it wasnt previous time, so I turned the system on and gpu fans spining at highest speed and its lights are on but still black screen on the monitor and nothing is going on, so I connect monitor to dvi slot of motherboard and on board cpu graphics so I can get a screen and in windows I ddued the vga driver of nvidia without safe mode and then tried to reinstall the driver but nothing came out of it because it didn’t recognize my graphics card that had been connected to it, so I went on and tried the vga card on my other motherboard without cpu cooler on it because I was in a rush and still got no picture on the monitor and it seemed system did not recognize vga card at all

so my question is

what is going on? And how to know that I can still do something about it, or to know that if there is any other way that this card is reocognized at all by system? Or maybe faulty windows? And I tried in the bios to set monitor screen for gpu to auto= which means from whatever between cpu graphics and card graphics, updated my bios to last version...

and there is suspicious thing with the windows that in device manager after I remvoed my vga driver, a thing appeared which I removed but reappeared again with the name of something like “microsoft basic graphic cards driver” so is there some hope that I can do something with it? Is it related to my card?

I think there was nothing wrong at all with system except that I had connected multiple devices at one outlet that had made it seem to go wrong...

Aug 29, 2020
gpu has a lot of burning smell, but when i opened it saw no visible sign of burning, because i turned it off very fast when i saw the smoke, now i have created a thread in nvidia forums about this issue, the other things i did too is included in that post :is 1070 gtx gpu dead in this trial? | NVIDIA GeForce Forums
changed thermal paste and tried again mobo is working fine , gpu lights on and fans spinning highest speed but no recognition in device manager (jsut a hidden microsoft display basic adapter and intel 630u)