Question Is gtx 1660 still not enough to play dota 2?

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
specs:
i7-4790
2x4gb ram 1333
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
corsair vs450

I recently bought zotac gtx 1660 amp! 'non ti', and i'm still getting fps drop during intense clash.
graphics setting on high, vsync off, shadow quality high.
at start im getting 100-120 fps. then dropping to 80-100 fps,
and during high intensive clash dropping to 60fps or lower (i didn't really see what exact fps, but im feeling it).

is there something wrong or 1660 is just not enough to handle dota 2 high settings.?

thank you

specs:
i7-4790
2x4gb ram 1333
240gb ssd
1tb hdd
corsair vs450

I recently bought zotac gtx 1660 amp! 'non ti', and i'm still getting fps drop during intense clash.
graphics setting on high, vsync off, shadow quality high.
at start im getting 100-120 fps. then dropping to 80-100 fps,
and during high intensive clash dropping to 60fps or lower (i didn't really see what exact fps, but im feeling it).

is there something wrong or 1660 is just not enough to handle dota 2 high settings.?

thank you

honestly i don't think there is anything wrong with the system. the issue could be the game itself. anyway before going further i would like to ask what driver version you're currently using?

I don’t know this game but this statement and the fact you said the dips happen in big clashes point towards a cpu limitation. When the dips happen are any cpu cores hitting 100%?

this is what i suspect as well. "FPS drops when there is intense clash happen". hence in my first reply i was saying the issue could be the game itself. the CPU cores might not get choke by heavy usage but more like the 3D API can't handle the draw call causing the performance drop.

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
i have msiafter on-screen display setup. but only the cpu usage (overall) is on display and in never pass 50% even during intensive clashes.
If you go into the afterburner settings, under the Monitoring tab you can tick off all the boxes for individual cores. ie. CPU1 usage, CPU2 usage, etc. Also make sure that under the properties below that "Show in On-Screen Display" is also checked. Click ok when you've made the changes and you should be good to go.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
If you go into the afterburner settings, under the Monitoring tab you can tick off all the boxes for individual cores. ie. CPU1 usage, CPU2 usage, etc. Also make sure that under the properties below that "Show in On-Screen Display" is also checked. Click ok when you've made the changes and you should be good to go.

I already checked cpu usage #1-#8,
during intensive clashes,

my fps dropped to as low as 56ms,
GPU usage at 42%,
GPU temp at 56c,
CPU temp at 58c
CPU usage (overall) at 50%
the highest CPU usage i got from one CPU is 78%

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
What I found interesting from the video I linked was that both the CPU and GPU were not maxed out. I makes me wonder if the game is just poorly optimized, or maybe there is a heavy reliance on memory bandwidth or something. Is your memory overclockable? I'd be curious to see what results you get at 1600 instead of 1333.

brahmsPC

Honorable
Feb 28, 2016
Sounds like cpu bottleneck (although your cpu is good enough), something must be wrong there.

Do all 8 threads show up in task manager for your cpu? What clock speed does your cpu run at when gaming?

Yeah. it says in my task manager that i have 8 logical processor.
I did the cpu clock, and the highest i got was 3791 mhz.

TRENDING THREADS